Above The Falls Regional Park in Minneapolis follows the Mississippi River on both shores between the Camden Bridge and the Plymouth Avenue Bridge, incorporating several neighborhood parks and parkways, including: Edgewater Park, Gluek Park, James I Rice Parkway, Marshall Terrace Park, Orvin “Ole” Olson Park, Sheridan Memorial Park and West River Parkway. Restroom facilities can be found at Marshall Terrace Park.
Ideas for Family Fun at Above The Falls Regional Park
- Take a family bike ride along the Mississippi.
- Pack a picnic and eat it at Edgewater Park, then explore the walking paths along the Mississippi.
- Grill out at Gluek Park. In the summer there are pretty gardens near the picnic shelter to beautify your outdoor meal.
- Let the kids run wild on the playground at Marshall Terrace (this park also has grills and a picnic area if you want to make a day of it in one place)
- Take a dip in the Marshall Terrace wading pool
- Bring your sports equipment to Marshall Terrace Park and play some baseball or basketball
- Make an evening stop at Sheridan Memorial Park to view the Veterans Memorial sculpture by local artist Robert Smart.
Biking the Mississippi in Minneapolis
This park is connected through bike trails. Although Anne's family's favorite Minneapolis Bike Trails are a bit more south, all of these Mississippi Bike Trails connect as part of U.S. Bicycle Route 45 and can be ridden together or in any combination that works from your starting point.
Updates to Above The Falls Regional Park
As part of a long-term goal to create a continuous park system along the Mississippi River, the Above the Falls Master Plan is one of the current Minneapolis park board projects. The main goals of the project are stewardship, development and usability by the public. MPRB continues to work towards acquisition of more land.
Related Mississippi Parks:
- Mississippi Gorge Regional Park
- Mill Ruins Park: Part of Central Mississippi Riverfront Regional Park
- Nicollet Island Park: Part of Central Mississippi Riverfront Regional Park
- Boom Island Par: Part of Central Mississippi Riverfront Regional Park
- Minnehaha Regional Park, Minneapolis
- Great River Passage, St. Paul Riverfront
- Harriet Island Regional Park, St Paul
- North Mississippi Regional Park, Minneapolis