Things to do in the Twin Cities over memorial day weekend
Memorial Day Weekend is May 29-31, 2021. Sticking around town for the holiday? We’ve got some weekend suggestions that are sure to be memorable.
Fun Outdoor Memorial Day Weekend Events in the Parks
Outdoor Swimming – Beaches, Pools & Water Fun
Spend the holiday weekend at the beach! Several are open for business starting Memorial Day Weekend:
DAKOTA COUNTY BEACHES
- SCHULZE LAKE BEACH, EAGAN
- LAKE BYLLESBY BEACH, CANNON FALLS
MINNEAPOLIS BEACHES & POOLS
- MINNEAPOLIS PUBLIC BEACHES – 12 locations within 6 parks for FREE swimming!
- MINNEAPOLIS WADING POOLS – with the exception of pools adjacent to public school sites. See our fantastic list of free Minneapolis wading pools, the perfect spot to take tots for a swim this summer! Open daily, 10am-9pm.
- WEBBER NATURAL SWIMMING POOL – a free public swimming pool filtered naturally rather than with chemicals.
RAMSEY COUNTY BEACHES
- LAKE JOSEPHINE BEACH, ROSEVILLE
- LAKE MCCARRONS BEACH, ROSEVILLE
- LONG LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, NEW BRIGHTON
- LAKE JOHANNA BEACH, ARDEN HILLS
- WHITE BEAR LAKE BEACH
Beaches open sunrise to sunset (park hours). Lifeguards on duty 12-8pm starting early June. Find more information on the Ramsey County beaches information page.
Three Rivers Park District Beaches & swimming
- BAKER PARK RESERVE BEACH, MAPLE PLAIN
- BRYANT LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, EDEN PRAIRIE
- CARVER PARK RESERVE BEACH, VICTORIA
- CEDAR LAKE FARM REGIONAL PARK BEACH, NEW PRAGUE
- CLEARY LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, PRIOR LAKE
- ELM CREEK SWIM POND – Chlorinated with a sand beach. Close to an elaborate playground & nature center. $5/pp.
- FISH LAKE REGIONAL PARK, MAPLE GROVE
- FRENCH LAKE REGIONAL PARK, PLYMOUTH
- LAKE MINNETONKA SWIM POND, MINNETRISTA – Chlorinated with a sand beach. $5/pp.
- LAKE REBECCA PARK RESERVE, ROCKFORD
WASHINGTON COUNTY BEACHES
- BIG MARINE LAKE BEACH, MARINE ON ST CROIX
- POINT DOUGLAS BEACH, HASTINGS
- SQUARE LAKE BEACH, STILLWATER
- ST CROIX BLUFFS BEACH, HASTINGS
Washington County Beaches are open 9am-8pm. A $7 vehicle permit is required w/ the exception of Point Douglas Beach. Each first Tuesday of the month is FREE entry day!
Note: The LAKE ELMO SWIM POND at Lake Elmo Park Reserve will open June 12, 2021.
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND NATURE PROGRAMS
Self-directed scavenger hunts, nature walks, and interactive skills development such as bird watching or animal tracking. All ages welcome, pre-registr
Nature Center Without Walls | Three Rivers Parks
Free nature programming at four Three Rivers Parks locations: Eastman Nature Center, Mississippi Gateway Regional Park, Lowry Nature Center & Richardson Nature Center. Each weekend features different activities and experiences in nature. May 29-30. FREE, drop in between 11am-2pm.
Free Family Fun Day: Dragonflies | Richardson nature center, Bloomington
Meet a few dragonflies and and explore one of their habitats. This program is entirely outdoors. Monday, May 31. Drop in anytime from 1-3pm. FREE.
Twin Cities Nature Centers
Nature and outdoor interpretive centers are wonderful places that offer free admission and hands-on exhibits and outdoor play opportunities most days of the week. Find our complete listing of TWIN CITIES NATURE CENTERS.
Memorial Day weekend living history programs
Memorial Day at The Landing | Shakopee
Learn about the history of Memorial Day or “Decoration Day” with self-guided walking tours and scavenger hunts. Discover how Civil War Veterans honored their fallen comrades. Guided presentations on the history of the Memorial Day holiday will be given at 1 PM and 3 PM. May 31, FREE.
Gideon Pond House Living History Open Houses | Bloomington
Drop by for free living history activities, a new theme each week. Sunday, May 30, 1:30-4pm.
Gibbs Farm Tours | Falcon Heights
Tours begin Memorial Day Weekend, $5-$8/pp.
Sibley Historic Site Tours | Mendota
The historic site re-opens Saturday, May 29! Discover the historic trading post nestled in one of Minnesota’s first settlements. One-hour tours kick off from 1-4pm. $5-$7/pp.
More attractions opening Memorial day weekend
Como Town Amusement Park | St Paul
Carnival rides and entertainment for kids up to 12 years. Open 10am-7pm Memorial Day Weekend.
Attractions open Memorial Day Weekend include the park’s lawn bowling, paddle boats, ($20/45 min) and the putting course (they call it “golf in miniature”. $10/18 holes). Plus, you might get lucky and spot a member of the Edina Model Yacht club!
Explore your city parks by surrey, chopper, canoe, paddleboard and more. Rentals are open at the following locations Memorial Day Weekend (please visit the website for hours):
- Bde Maka Ska
- Lake Como
- Lake Harriet
- Lake Nokomkis
- Minnehaha Falls
- Veterans Memorial Park – Richfield
Twin cities memorial day programs
Memorial Day with Lakewood Cemetery | Minneapolis
Enjoy live music, create custom postcards, and learn to fold origami doves. There will be guided tours of the cemetery offered. 10am-2pm, FREE.
A ceremony at the Veterans Monument in City Center Park (in front of city hall) at noon, the Legion will assemble at the Veterans Monument in City Center Park to conduct the Memorial Day Ceremony.
More ideas for memorial day weekend
- Stroll through a cemetery.
- Give thanks for those who have gone before.
- Pick up some take out and have a special picnic.
- Take a boat ride or a drive along the shore of a lake.
- Go Fishing – see our list of the best fishing holes for families at the link.
- Visit a Twin Cities Park with a Dedicated Memorial
Immigrant for a Day | Gammelgarden Museum, Scandia
Step back into the 1850’s with immigrant family activities and tours. Opening weekend: Pollinators: All The Buzz | Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
Pollinators found around the world in an indoor greenhouse garden. 10am-6pm thru Labor Day
6 venues presenting music nightly – starts Memorial Day
Grove Cove Aquatic Center Outdoor Pool | Maple Grove
Indoor and outdoor swimming options. 10am-6pm. $7-$8/pp or $26-$30/family.
Jim Lupient Water Park | Minneapolis
Pre-season hours Memorial Day Weekend. $3-$5/pp.
North Commons waterparks traditionally open Memorial Day Weekend. $3-$5/p