Memorial Day Weekend is May 23-25 in 2020. Sticking around town? We’ve got some weekend suggestions sure to be memorable.
FREE TWIN CITIES MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EVENTS
- Stroll through a cemetery.
- Give thanks for those who have gone before.
- Pick up some take out and have a special picnic.
- Take a boat ride or a drive along the shore of a lake.
- Go Fishing
- Visit a Park with a Dedicated Memorial
OUTDOOR SWIMMING BEACHES & POOLS
Spend the holiday weekend at the beach!
- Burnsville: Crystal Beach – Scheduled to open May 22.
- Nicollet Commons Park water feature | Burnsville (weather dependent)
- Dakota County beaches Closed for 2020.
- Schulze Lake Beach, Eagan
- Lake Byllesby Beach, Cannon Falls CLOSED for 2020.
CLOSED for 2020: Minneapolis swimming beaches
- Bde Maka Ska 32nd Street Beach
- Bde Maka Ska North Beach
- Bde Maka Ska Thomas Beach
- Cedar Lake East Beach
- Cedar Lake Point Beach
- Cedar Lake South Beach
- Lake Harriet North Beach
- Lake Harriet Southeast Beach
- Lake Hiawatha Beach
- Lake Nokomis 50th Street Beach
- Lake Nokomis Main Beach
- Wirth Lake Beach
Open Memorial Day weekend; lifeguards not available until early June.
CLOSED for 2020: Minneapolis wading pools (except pools located adjacent to public school sites). See our fantastic list of free Minneapolis wading pools, the perfect spot to take tots for swim this summer! Open daily, 10am-9pm.
CLOSED for 2020: Ramsey County swimming beaches | 5 locations
- Lake Josephine County Park, Roseville
- Lake McCarrons County Park, Roseville
- Long Lake Regional Park, New Brighton
- Tony Schmidt Regional Park (Lake Johanna Beach), Arden Hills
- White Bear Lake County Park
Beaches open sunrise to sunset (park hours). Lifeguards on duty 12-8pm starting early June.
Three Rivers Park District beaches – Delayed Opening
- Baker Park Reserve, Maple Plain
- Bryant Lake Regional Park, Eden Prairie
- Carver Park Reserve, Victoria
- Cedar Lake Farm Regional Park, New Prague
- Cleary Lake Regional Park, Prior Lake
- Fish Lake Regional Park, Maple Grove
- French Regional Park, Plymouth
- Lake Rebecca Park Reserve, Rockford
CLOSED FOR 2020: Webber Natural Swimming Pool | Minneapolis
Water treated with plants instead of chemicals. Zero-depth entry for the littlest swimmers. Open Tues-Sun, 1-7pm.
Pond Dakota House Open House | Bloomington |
Note: The house will be closed this year, but families can still enjoy the grounds.
The Landing | Shakopee
The park grounds and trails are open daily for self-guided exploration. Access to the park is free, though it does not include access inside the historic buildings.
UPDATE: THE MINNESOTA HISTORICAL SOCIETY HAS ANNOUNCED THE CLOSURE OF ALL ITS HISTORIC SITES THROUGH JUNE 2020.
May 24, 2020: Immigrant for a Day | Gammelgarden Museum, Scandia | Note: Gammelgarden has cancelled public programs for the “foreseeable future”. While we are hoping they’ll be open for Memorial Day weekend, we highly recommend checking the website the day of the event.
Step back into the 1850’s with immigrant family activities and tours. 1-4pm, free today only.
May 25, 2020: Memorial Day at Lakewood Cemetery | Minneapolis
A pre-recorded, virtual ceremony begins at noon on the cemetery’s website. Lakewood will still be open on Memorial Day and staff will be onsite to answer questions 12pm.
May 25, 2020: Roselawn Cemetery | Minneapolis
Virtual Ceremony. Organ concerts daily 11am-1pm and Memorial Day Ceremony Monday at 10 am.
Cancelled: May 25, 2020: Minneapolis Pioneers & Soldiers Cemetery | Minneapolis
Seward Concert Band performance at 9:40 followed by a service at 10am.
Cancelled: May 25, 2020: Union Cemetery | Maplewood
Memorial Day Service next to the office. Bring your lawn chair. 10am. A final decision as the public program will be made closer to the event date. However, the cemetery will be open for visitors between 8am to 8pm.
With social distancing still recommended, all programs have been cancelled this weekend. Check out our 65+ Fun Nature Play Ideas for Kids for ideas you can implement at home.
Cancelled: May 25, 2020: Memorial Day Animal Show | Eastman Nature Center, Maple Grove
Drop in to get hands-on with various critters. 1-3pm. (Register ahead if you would like updates)
Cancelled: May 25, 2020: Free Family Fun Day: Meet the Raptors | Richardson Nature Center
Drop in. 3-4pm. (Register ahead if you would like updates)
Opening weekend: Pollinators: All The Buzz | Como Park Zoo & Conservatory (Como currently has all summer events postponed)
Pollinators found around the world in an indoor greenhouse garden. 10am-6pm thru Labor Day.
As with Nature Programs, community events are still not recommended. We have ideas for family fun at home:
- 75 Fun Indoor Games for Kids: Boredom Busters for All Ages
- 60 Fun Outdoor Games for Kids This Summer
- 45+ Fun Physical Activities for Kids of All Ages, Categorized
CANCELLED FOR 2020: Minneapolis Music in the Parks
6 venues presenting music nightly – starts Memorial Day at Lake Harriet Bandshell, 5:30pm.
PAID EVENTS TWIN CITIES MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND EVENTS
Fort Snelling Celebrates Memorial Day Weekend every year.
Gibbs Farm | Falcon Heights – Opening is currently postponed to June 6, 2020.
Take a themed guided tour or attend one of Gibbs Farm’s special events throughout the season.
Opens May 23, 2020. Weekends & select Fridays, 10am-4pm. $5-$8/pp.
Historic Fort Snelling
Memorial Day Weekend – Explore the historic buildings, chat with costumed interpreters, watch cannon and musket firings, and join in historic games. Kids can try out the History Hunt scavenger hunt. New this year: Free general admission to all military veterans, plus up to five accompanying family members! Finish the day with a short hike through adjacent Fort Snelling State Park. May 23-25, 2020. 10am-5pm, $8-$12/pp. CLOSED THROUGH JUNE 2020.
The Landing | Shakopee
The Story of Memorial Day (Event #2LAN220T): Meet Civil War veterans and learn how Memorial Day began in 1868 as “Decoration Day” to honor Union soldiers who died. Horse-drawn trolleys provide transportation through the park. May 25, 2020. $5/pp, under 2 FREE.
Oliver Kelley Farm | Elk River
Welcome Back to the Farm Day: Explore the new visitor center, tour the historic farmhouse, lend your hand at farm chores, and check in on the animals. May 23, 2020. 9am-4pm. $8-$12/pp, under 5 & MHS members FREE. CLOSED THROUGH JUNE 2020.
The following MNHS sites and museums across the state are CLOSED to visitors through June 2020.
- Birch Coulee Battlefield, Morton: dawn to dusk
- Charles Lindbergh House & Museum, Little Falls: 10am-5pm
- Folsom House, Taylors Falls: 1-5pm
- Harkin Store, New Ulm: 10am-4pm
- Historic Forestville, Preston: 10am-5pm
- Historic Fort Snelling, St Paul: 10am-5pm
- Jeffers Petroglyphs, Comfrey: 10am-5pm
- Lac qui Parle Mission, Montevideo: 8am-8pm
- Marine Mill, Marine on St Croix: dawn to dusk
- Mill City Museum, Minneapolis: 10am-5pm
- Mille Lacs Indian Museum & Trading Post, Onamia: 10am-5pm
- Minnesota History Center, St Paul: 10am-5pm
- Oliver Kelley Farm, Elk River:10am-5pm
- Sibley Historic Site, Mendota: 1pm-5pm
- Snake River Fur Post, Pine City: 10am-5pm
- Split Rock Lighthouse, Two Harbors: 10am-6pm
All of the paid pools, ponds and beaches are delaying or cancelling opening in 2020, but check out our free listing. A couple smaller beaches are opening.
Elm Creek Swimming Pond | Maple Grove
Chlorinated w/ sand beach, close to an elaborate playground, nature center and historic site. Opens May 23, 2020. 9am-8pm, $5/pp.
CLOSED through May: Grove Cove Aquatic Center Outdoor Pool | Maple Grove
Indoor and outdoor swimming options. Opens May 23, 2020. 10am-6pm. $7-$8/pp or $26-$30/family.
CLOSED for 2020: Jim Lupient Water Park | Minneapolis
Pre-season hours Memorial Day Weekend. $3-$5/pp.
Lake Minnetonka Swimming Pond | Minnetrista
Chlorinated w/ sand beach. Lifeguards on duty starting early June. Opens May 23, 2020. 9am-8pm, $5/pp.
DELAYED: Washington County Parks swimming beaches | 5 locations (Opening Delayed to June 15th)
- Big Marine Lake Beach, Marine on St Croix
- Lake Elmo Swim Pond, Lake Elmo Park Reserve
- Point Douglas Beach, Hastings
- Square Lake Beach, Stillwater
- St Croix Bluffs Beach, Hastings
Lifeguards are on duty starting Memorial Day Weekend. Cost is $7/vehicle with the exception of Point Douglas Beach.
Centennial Lakes Park | Edina – Group Activities Not Allowed in 2020
Attractions opening Memorial Day Weekend include the park’s paddle boats, lawn games (croquet and lawn bowling, $20/hr), and the putting course ($6-$10/pp).
Como Town Amusement Park | St Paul – Closed until Further Notice.
Carnival rides and entertainment for kids up to 12 years. Open 10am-7pm Memorial Day Weekend.
Minnesota Zoo | Apple Valley – Currently closed until Further Notice.
Llama Trek opens, the special experience along the Northern Trail, will allow guests to walk among free-roaming llamas. $12-$18/pp (plus parking), under 2 FREE.
Wheel Fun Rentals
Rent surreys, choppers, canoes, paddleboards and more. Weekend hours are open at all locations by Memorial Day Weekend. Visit the links for complete hours.
Minnesota Remembers Memorial Weekend | Mall of America
Live music, cookie giveaways, face painting, meet Security K9s, and other fun activities plus displays and monuments up all weekend. Plus, on Monday, check out World War I Fashions: The War That Raised Grandma’s Hemline in the Rotunda. 5/26/19. 10am-5pm.
Memorial Day Observance | American Legion, 200 Lilac Dr. N., Golden Valley Remembrance for those who died serving our country. Ceremony includes bagpiper, bugler, and honor guard with 3 rifle volley. A reception will follow the observance in the Legion. Dress for outdoor event.
Memorial Day Ceremony | Chanhassen
A ceremony at the Veterans Monument in City Center Park (in front of city hall) at noon, the Legion will assemble at the Veterans Monument in City Center Park to conduct the Memorial Day Ceremony.