Things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul this weekend!
This May Twin Cities Family Weekend Guide covers the weekend of May 27-29, 2023 – Memorial Day Weekend! Find our most recent guide here. For more inspiration on spending family time together this weekend, check our MAY FAMILY EVENTS GUIDE , our ULTIMATE GUIDE TO SPRING IN THE TWIN CITIES or our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR.
FUN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES IN THE PARKS THIS WEEKEND
Featured here for the weekend is just a taste of all that’s going on across the incredible Twin Cities park systems. You can get more ideas on our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR or browse the links below to search for local fun events & things to do with kids this weekend in parks across the Minneapolis-St Paul metro.
SOME FUN FAMILY IDEAS FOR THIS WEEKEND
MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND NATURE PROGRAMS
360 Butler Ave E, West St Paul, MN 55118
Walk at your own pace around Thompson Lake while reading picture book pages displayed along the trail. Do NOT miss the brand-new inclusive playground! May 26-29, 2023.
Visit a new Twin Cities Nature Center
Nature and outdoor interpretive centers are wonderful places that offer free admission and hands-on exhibits and outdoor play opportunities most days of the week. Find our complete listing of TWIN CITIES NATURE CENTERS.
FEATURED TWIN CITIES PARK EVENTS THIS WEEKEND
Join naturalists for free, drop-in and kid-friendly programming at EAST MAN NATURE CENTER (Maple Grove), MISSISSIPPI GATEWAY REGIONAL PARK (Brooklyn Park) and RICHARDSON NATURE CENTER (Bloomington). Explore the indoor exhibits while you’re at it. No reservations needed. May 28, 2023. 1-3pm. FREE.
Louisiana Oaks Park, 3520 Louisiana Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426
Admire as the kites take flight or bring your kite to fly with members of the Minnesota Kite Society. Free kites for kids’ while supplies last. May 27, 2023, 12-4pm. FREE.
Another great summer season of outdoor tunes at the LAKE HARRIET BANDSHELL starts Memorial Day! Pick a food truck for dinner or pack a picnic. Kids will enjoy the playground only steps from the bandshell. See the link for the entire summer lineup of movies & music in the parks. May 29, 2023, 5:30pm. FREE.
MORE IDEAS FOR THINGS TO DO THIS WEEKEND IN THE TWIN CITIES WITH KIDS
Outdoor Swimming – Beaches, Pools & Water Fun Opening Memorial Day Weekend 2023
Spend the holiday weekend at the beach! Several are open for the business of swimming, splashing and FUN starting Memorial Day Weekend:
- CRYSTAL BEACH – 1101 Crystal Lake Road East, Burnsville, MN 55337
- NICOLLET COMMONS PARK WATER FEATURE – 12550 Nicollet Ave, Burnsville, MN 55337.
DAKOTA COUNTY BEACHES
- SCHULZE LAKE BEACH, EAGAN – 860 Cliff Road, Eagan, MN 55123
- LAKE BYLLESBY BEACH, CANNON FALLS – 8150 295th St. E., Cannon Falls, MN 55009
MINNEAPOLIS BEACHES & POOLS
- JIM LUPIENT WATER PARK – Water slides, zero-depth entry, spray zones and activities. $3-$5/pp. 1520 Johnson St NE, Minneapolis, MN 55413
- MINNEAPOLIS PUBLIC BEACHES – 12 locations within 6 parks for FREE swimming!
- MINNEAPOLIS WADING POOLS – with the exception of pools adjacent to public school sites. See our fantastic list of free Minneapolis wading pools, the perfect spot to take tots for a swim this summer! Open daily, 10am-9pm.
- NORTH COMMONS WATER PARK – $3-$5/pp. 1701 Golden Valley Rd, Minneapolis, MN 55411
- WEBBER NATURAL SWIMMING POOL – a free public swimming pool filtered naturally rather than with chemicals. 4300 Webber Pkwy, Minneapolis, MN 55412.
RAMSEY COUNTY BEACHES
- LAKE JOSEPHINE BEACH, ROSEVILLE – 3027 Lexington Ave N, Roseville, MN 55113
- LAKE MCCARRONS BEACH, ROSEVILLE – 1795 Rice St, Roseville, MN 55113
- LONG LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, NEW BRIGHTON – 1500 Old Highway 8
New Brighton, MN 55112
- LAKE JOHANNA BEACH, ARDEN HILLS – 3500 Lake Johanna Blvd.
Arden Hills, MN 55112
- WHITE BEAR LAKE BEACH – 5050 Lake Ave, White Bear Lake, MN 55110
Beaches open sunrise to sunset (park hours). Lifeguards on duty 12-8pm starting early June. Find more information on the Ramsey County beaches information page.
ST PAUL POOLS
1840 Edgcumbe Rd, St Paul, MN 55116
Bigger kids will enjoy its two-story water slide and climbing wall, while small kids can play it the splash pad. There is also a lap pool and diving boards for more serious swim practice. Open for pre-season swimming May 28-29, 2023. Admission is $4-$7/pp ($5/pp in a group of 5+)
Three Rivers Park District Beaches & swimming
- BAKER PARK RESERVE BEACH, MAPLE PLAIN – 2309 Baker Park Rd, Maple Plain, MN 55359
- BRYANT LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, EDEN PRAIRIE – 6800 Rowland Rd, Eden Prairie, MN 55344
- CARVER PARK RESERVE BEACH, VICTORIA – 55386, 7400 Grimm Rd, Waconia, MN 55387
- CEDAR LAKE FARM REGIONAL PARK BEACH, NEW PRAGUE – 25875 Juniper Ave, New Prague, MN 56071
- CLEARY LAKE REGIONAL PARK BEACH, PRIOR LAKE – 18106 Texas Ave, Prior Lake, MN 55372
- ELM CREEK SWIM POND – Chlorinated with a sand beach. Close to an elaborate playground & nature center. $5/pp. 12400 James Deane Pkwy, Maple Grove, MN 55369
- FISH LAKE REGIONAL PARK, MAPLE GROVE – 14900 Bass Lake Rd, Maple Grove, MN 55311
- FRENCH LAKE REGIONAL PARK, PLYMOUTH – 12605 Rockford Rd, Plymouth, MN 55441
- LAKE MINNETONKA SWIM POND, MINNETRISTA – Chlorinated with a sand beach. $5/pp. 4610 County Rd 44, Minnetrista, MN 55364
- LAKE REBECCA PARK RESERVE, ROCKFORD – 9831 Rebecca Park Trail, Rockford, MN 55373
WASHINGTON COUNTY BEACHES
- BIG MARINE LAKE BEACH, MARINE ON ST CROIX – 17495 Manning Trail N, Marine on St Croix, MN 55047
- POINT DOUGLAS BEACH, HASTINGS – 14810 Point Douglas Dr S, Hastings, MN 55033
- SQUARE LAKE BEACH, STILLWATER – 15450 Square Lake Trail N, Stillwater, MN 55082
- ST CROIX BLUFFS BEACH, HASTINGS – 10191 St Croix Trail S, Hastings, MN 55033
Washington County Beaches are open 9am-8pm. A $7 vehicle permit is required w/ the exception of Point Douglas Beach. Each first Tuesday of the month is FREE entry day!
Memorial Day weekend living history programs
401 E 104th St, Bloomington, MN 55420
Drop by for free living history activities, a new theme each weekend – Memorial Day weekend, make your own pioneer doll. May 27, 1-4pm. FREE; donations appreciated.
2097 Larpenteur Ave W, St Paul, MN 55113
Tours of the Gibbs Farmhouse, one-room schoolhouse, Dakota Bark Lodge and Tipi will be offered. Plus, taste homemade ice cream, see farm animals and listen to live music. May 27, 2023, 10am-4pm. $5-$10/pp.
Historic Fort Snelling, 200 Tower Ave, St Paul, MN 55111
Interact with costumed actors dressed in 1890s military clothing. Watch speeches that reflected on past conflicts, especially the American Civil War, commonly heard during the late 1800s. May 27-29, 2023; 10am-4pm. $8-$12/pp. Learn more about Historic Fort Snelling.
1357 Sibley Memorial Hwy, Mendota Heights, MN 55120
The historic site re-opens Saturday, May 27. Discover the historic trading post nestled in one of Minnesota’s first settlements. One-hour tours kick off from 1-4pm. $6-$10/pp.
MORE ATTRACTIONS OPEN MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND
7499 France Ave S, Edina, MN 55435
Attractions open Memorial Day Weekend include the park’s lawn bowling, paddle boats, ($20/45 min) and the putting course (they call it “golf in miniature”. $10/18 holes). Plus, you might get lucky and spot a member of the Edina Model Yacht club!
Explore your city parks by surrey, chopper, canoe, paddleboard and more. Rentals are open at the following locations Memorial Day Weekend (please visit the website for hours):
- Bde Maka Ska
- Lake Como
- Lake Harriet
- Lake Nokomkis
- Minnehaha Falls
- Veterans Memorial Park – Richfield
TWIN CITIES MEMORIAL DAY PROGRAMS
3600 Hennepin Ave, Minneapolis, MN 55408
Enjoy live music and create custom postcards. There will be guided tours of the cemetery offered. May 29, 2023, 10:30am-4pm, FREE.
More ideas for memorial day weekend
- Stroll through a cemetery.
- Give thanks for those who have gone before.
- Pick up some take out and have a special picnic.
- Take a boat ride or a drive along the shore of a lake.
- Go Fishing – see our list of the best fishing holes for families at the link.
- Visit a Twin Cities Park with a Dedicated Memorial