A new look on Black Friday that started in Oakland, California. It has traveled up to our cold state of Minnesota, and we are ready for it.
Buy It Local has embraced this movement. Here’s the Plaid Friday Mantra off the facebook page. “Stay home with your family on Thanksgiving, forget about long lines in cold big box store parking lots, dress up in plaid, & shop local on Black Friday. Get great deals on cool stuff & have fun!”
Instead of paying big bucks at the big box stores, Buy It Local and the local retailers are encouraging shopping local on Plaid Friday. And seriously dress up in plaid. You will receive discounts for wearing plaid. (It seems perfect for a cold, Minnesota winter day to be wearing flannel. Now I just need to pull mine from high school out of the depths of the closet.
On Monday of this week, I made a list of many of the different local businesses participating. Early Wednesday morning, it looked like the number of businesses participating had doubled. There are so many great deals at so many of the different shops around town. Music, refreshments, and deals. You really can’t go wrong.
For example, you can head over to Peapods for these doorbuster deals.
- 40% off a gigantic selection of KicKee Pants bamboo baby clothes (Plus, buy 6 outfits and get one free!)
- 40% off a huge selection of Haba baby & toddler toys (over $4500 worth at retail)
- 40% off select Kathe Kruse soft baby toys
- BUY 1 GET 1 FREE Crocodile Creek stainless steel water bottles
- Rockin’ Green Detergent’s brand new SECRET HOLIDAY SCENT in Classic Rock will be $13.99 (Normally $17.95)
- 40% off select Douglas fairy wings, kids’ purses, & stuffed animals
- BUY 1 GET 1 FREE a huge selection of durable Nylon Wind ‘n Sun Kites
- Free Holiday dot to dot book with any KEVA or Mindware purchase
- BUY 1 GET 1 FREE Crocodile Creek placemats, sandwich keepers, and ice packs
- 50% off Crocodile Creek kids’ back packs
- BUY 1 GET 1 FREE select Ceaco jigsaw puzzles
- BUY 1 GET 1 FREE eeboo craft & art supplies
- 40% off select Klutz Activity Books
- 25% off our remaining inventory of bumGenius Marie & Martin prints
- 40% off our remaining stock of Boba 4G Baby Carriers
- 40% off our remaining stock of Super Undies training pants
- 40% off our remaining stock of Undercover Mama nursingwear
- 40% off a Hape wooden play kitchen (already assembled!)
Plus, wear plaid and save an extra 5% off your entire purchase! This doesn’t even mention the dozens of prizes they are handing out!
The General Store in Minnetonka is offering that if you mention their PLAID FRIDAY Facebook post, you will receive a free PLAID scarf with a $50 purchase! while supplies last.
If you want a completely unique shopping experience, you can check out the American Swedish Institute. It’s so much more than shopping.
The Museum Shop at The American Swedish Institute and FIKA at the American Swedish Institutee open early at 8 a.m.!
Free museum admission (8-10 a.m.)
Bonfires!Another opportunity is at Egg|Plant Urban Farm Supply. If you wear plaid, you will get 10% off your purchase, plus select in-store discounts, drawings for gift certificates and gift basket, treats and a bagpiper at 11am and 2pm! (the bagpiper will be at Peapods at noon, as well).
I could keep listing them, but I will end with this option. MidModMen will have 20% off all vintage glassware and bar accessories and Green Line Gulp: hot cider & treats for shoppers.
Here is the map of different businesses included. Map out your strategy for a relaxing day on Friday.
There is something for everyone:
- did I mention food?
It will be the most idealic Christmas shopping ever.