We wanted to give you a heads up to some of the most exciting Christmas experiences happening this year. We’ll soon have an all-encompassing list for your family, but here are our Top Ten that you won’t want to miss – get them on your calendar!
This post is sponsored by VocalEssence
Star of Wonder
Dec. 9 , 9:30am or 11am
Plymouth Congregational Church, 1900 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis
Night Trains | Twin City Model Railroad Museum, St. Paul
Saturdays, Nov 4-Feb 24, 2018 | 6 pm-9 pm | $15 and up
“Night Trains Season comes to museum layouts in a magical way, the lights are turned down, the buildings and street lights glow warmly, setting the scene for specially lighted models of vintage passenger trains. The make believe town of Matlin is buried in a blizzard, and throughout the Museum the layouts are adorned with miniature Christmas lights and decorations.”
-Twin City Model Railroad Museum website
Holidazzle | Loring Park, Minneapolis | Thursdays-Sundays, Nov 24- Dec 23
St. Paul European Christmas | Union Depot | Dec 1-3 & Dec 8-10
Grand Meander | Grand Ave, St. Paul | Dec 2
Reindeer Days | Linden Hills, Minneapolis | Dec 2
The Nutcracker, various locations throughout the metro
Nothing says Christmas like The Nutcracker ballet, and the Twin Cities is full of opportunities to experience this Christmas tradition.
- Hip Hop Nutcracker | State Theatre, Minneapolis | Nov 21 & 22, 7:30
- Moscow’s Great Russian Nutcracker | Orpheum Theatre, Minneapolis | Dec- 2, 3 & 7 pm
- A Minnesota Nutcracker by Twin Cities Ballet | Ames Center, Burnsville | Dec 8-10
- The Classic Nutcracker by Ballet Minnesota | The O’Shaugnessy, St. Paul | Dec 15-17
- Nutcracker Fantasy | State Theater, Minneapolis | Dec 15-23
Julglädge! | American Swedish Institute, Minneapolis
Sat, Nov 25 12 & 2 pm; Sun, Nov 26 1pm Ttickets $3-$6 (advanced tickets recommended)
An annual tradition, hosted by Ross Sutter, who plays an energetic variety of American and Swedish tunes. This is an affordable experience for the whole family to enjoy.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas | Children’s Theatre Company | Nov 7-Jan 7, 2018
- Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, Jr. | Stages Theatre | Nov 17-Dec 28
- Beauty and the Beast | Steppingstone Theatre | Dec 1-22
- Annie | Ordway Theatre | Dec 7-31
Holiday Open Haus | Germanic American Institute, St Paul
December 2 & 3, FREE
Enjoy a European Christmas market, and make your belly happy with some delicious goodies. On Sunday, meet Father Christmas. Stroll along Summit Avenue to immerse yourself in the holiday spirit.
Folkways of the Holidays | The Landing, Shakopee
Dec 2-23, $5-$8
Experience Christmas in the 19th century by celebrating the rich holiday traditions of the earliest settlers of Minnesota. Cultures represented are Norwegian, Swedish, German, Jewish, French Canadian, Irish, Czech/Slovak, Victorian, and Finnish. Ride in a horse-drawn trolley, watch folk performances, and cozy up to the fire in candlelit homes.
The sound of Christmas gets you into the seasonal mood quickly. It’s a super fun time to introduce your family to the orchestra! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Merry and Bright: A Big Brassy Christmas with Charles Lazarus
Orchestra Hall | Dec 1, 8 pm
- Greater Twin Cities Youth Symphonies Holiday Concerts | Check the link for concert listings, times and ticket information
- Bach’s Bradenburg Concertos
Temple Israel, Minneapolis | Dec 7, 7:30
Ordway Concert Hall, St. Paul | Dec 8-9, 8pm
Benson Great Hall, Bethel University | Dec 10, 2pm
- Bach Christmas Oratorios I, II, III | Orchestra Hall | Dec 9, 8 pm & Dec 10, 2 pm
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets | Minneapolis Convention Center Auditorium
Dec 15 & 16, 7 pm & Dec 17, 2 pm
- A Minnesota Orchestra Christmas: Home for the Holidays
Orchestra Hall | Dec 21, 11 am & 7:30 pm
- An Evening with George Winston | Orchestra Hall | Dec 22, 8 pm
- St. Paul Chamber Orchestra Handel’s Messiah
Basilica, Minneapolis | Dec 14-17
- St. Paul Chamber Orchestra Handel’s Messiah
Ordway Concert Hall | Dec 16, 8 pm & Dec 17, 8 pm
Star of Wonder | Plymouth Congregational Church, Minneapolis
Dec 9, 9:30 & 11am | $3-$17
This is the perfect concert for your whole family – including teddy bears! Guests are invited to sit up close to the singers and join in familiar carols.
Holiday Lights in the Park | Phalen Regional Park, St. Paul
Event runs nightly through Jan 1. $10 cash per vehicle at gate or $8 online ticket only. 60 holiday light sculptures and animated displays entertain guests as they cruise through the park in the evening hours. For our master list of Christmas lights and holiday displays, look no further than here:
Gingerbread House Workshop
American Swedish Institute, Minneapolis
Friday, November 25, 10:00 am & 1 pm. $25-$35/house (up to 5 family members can decorate one house)
The fun of decorating your family’s gingerbread house without all the clean up? Yes, please! Bring it home and your own home will be instantly transformed for the Christmas season.
Music and Family Craft at American Swedish Institute runs Dec 2-3, 10, 17 & 23. Enjoy the holidays together at the American Swedish Institute by making crafts, listening to music, exploring the Christmas mansion, and at times the Christmas market.
More Holiday Fun in the Twin Cities