March 2nd is Dr. Seuss’s birthday and each year the NEA (National Education Association) celebrates Read Across America Day in his honor. We like to take this week to celebrate all things Seuss. Most years there are multiple events around town. However, even when you can’t find fun events, you can create your own family fun with Seuss-related activities.
We want to hear your ideas. If you know of any Read Across America celebrations that we’ve missed or you have a great idea for celebrating at home, leave us a message and we’ll add it to this article to share with the community. Or, we love to discovery hidden gems. What is your favorite Dr. Seuss book and why.
Read Across America Events & Outings
- Visit East Lake Library in Minneapolis to view the window artwork, Pages by Janet Lofquist. See if you can find the Dr. Seuss quotes hidden among quotes from other famous writers. Or visit any Twin Cities library to find a new favorite Dr. Seuss book. We ended up buying The Sneetches after borrowing it from the library.
- Visit Little Free Library #7770 in St. Anthony. Its Dr. Seuss theme earned it a place of honor among Seuss-inspired LFL’s around the country. Find it on Hilldale Avenue, just east of Silver Lake Road.
6 Ideas for Celebrating Dr. Seuss’s Birthday At Home
- Make a Seuss-inspired Craft. Check out these 24 Cat in the Hat Crafts from Non-Toy Gifts. Stef from Non-Toy Gifts is a Twin Cities mom who loves to share fun crafts, recycled toy ideas and activities to inspire families and educators. She has pulled together her favorite Seuss craft ideas from around the web. Start here if you want to find crafts to do together.
- Make Blue Tongues. When Children’s Theatre Company last showed The Cat in the Hat, we learned that the actors who played Thing 1 and Thing 2 got their blue tongues by eating blue popsicles.
- Throw a Birthday Party. Why not? Kids love an excuse for a birthday party. Play a Seuss-inspired game or put on a Seuss-inspired puppet show. Sprinkle Some Fun offers some fun recipes and games here. And we have a few ideas from Fun.com.
- Dr. Seuss Oh the Places Tote
- Price: $9.99
- BG:Picture Pairing Game-Dr. Seuss
- Price: $7.99
- Signature Games: Dr. Seuss Happy Birthday to You! Game
- Price: $16.99
- SG:Dr. Seuss Stack with the Cat Game
- Price: $19.99
- Horton Hears a Who Horton Hand Puppet
- Price: $14.99
- Learn more about Dr. Seuss and his books or just play games at Seussville. (Note: This is one of those instantly noisy websites. You might not want to open it right after you get the baby to sleep.)
- Celebrate with Read Across America. Plan a party as easy as ABC, 123.
- Get these printable activities featuring Dr. Seuss Characters from Random House
- Read the books! I bet you already have some at home. If not, you can get this box of 20 classics through our Bookshop affiliate link.
- Watch a Seuss TV Special or Movie. There are so many to choose from. We like Green Eggs and Ham, which you can find on YouTube.
This article includes an affiliate link to Bookshop.org, an online bookstore with a mission to financially support local, independent bookstores. Family Fun Twin Cities receives a small commission on books ordered through our link. If you want to find a specific local bookstore to support, find them on this map and they’ll receive the full profit off your order. Otherwise, your order will contribute to an earnings pool that will be evenly distributed among independent bookstores (even those that don’t use Bookshop). Learn more here.
We have also included affiliate links to Fun.com who carries a line of Dr. Seuss inspired costumes, games, accessories and toys.
4 thoughts on “Read Across America Day Fun for Families”
Pingback: A Dr. Seuss themed Family Fun List for 2/28 - 3/2 - 98.5 KTIS
I just want to mention I am just beginner to weblog and absolutely enjoyed this web site. Almost certainly I’m planning to bookmark your blog . You amazingly have really good article content. Bless you for sharing your web page.
Thank you for your kind words.
Yes. You are correct. Most of these events could be appropriate for multiple children.