Phelps Field Park offers family-friendly amenities that include a playground and tot lot with a Little Free Library, a wading pool, space to picnic with a grill, and sports courts and fields. This park has restroom facilities. The Minneapolis Park & Recreation Board (“MPRB”) is in the process of an improvement project at this park.
Phelps Park Improvement Project
Phase one construction is scheduled to begin in July of 2020. Improvements will include the following updates:
- Splash pad with a water play feature (See Waite Park for an example). The old pool will be removed during the summer of 2020 the new pool will be installed in spring 2021.
- Two play areas for ages 2-5 and ages 5-12, installed beginning July 2020.
- Picnic shelter (this does not currently have a start date listed)
- Paths and path lighting around the park – July 2020.
- There will also be new plantings and path and parking lot improvements beginning in July 2020.
- Redesign and reconstruction of the sports field on the south end of the park – planned to begin spring 2021.
Phelps Field Park Wading Pool / Splash Pad
The wading pool will be replaced with a splash pad during reconstruction in 2020-2021. The new splash pad may be completed on time for the 2021 summer season. Construction is planned for spring of 2021.
Winter at Phelps Field Park
MPRB maintains an ice skating rink at this site during the colder months. Ice skating season is weather dependent, but usually runs from mid-December through mid-February.
Phelps Field Park Recreation Center
The recreation center is run by the Boys and Girls Club of America.