St. Paul is celebrating National Train Day for TWO full days this year: Saturday, April 30 and Sunday, May 1.
You don’t want to miss all the train buzz, so here’s a breakdown of what is happening. Lots of music, activities and trains to explore.
If you are interested in checking out the Minnesota Transportation Museum, make sure you catch the free bus rides from Union Depot for a discounted ticket. You will be transported on vintage buses between locations.
Here’s a synopsis of what you will find at the museum.
- Choo Choo Bob’s Corner Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- Twin Cities Model Railroad Museum on Site
- Train Rides with special “Meet the Engineer” times throughout the weekend
- Jazz Coffee Hour with Peace Coffee and Patty & The Buttons
- Swing dance lessons
- Special Tot’s & Trains both day
- Food trucks
- Eat for Equity Dinner at the Museum to raise money for Cycles for Change.
- Free Tours on The Amtrak® Exhibit Train, showcasing the past, present and future of America’s Railroad®.
- Life-size railroad equipment will be on display– passenger and freight.
- Great Northern Railway SDP40 No. 325 Display
- Northern Pacific Railway Post Office/Combine Car No. 1102 Display
- the 1950s era Soo Line FP7 No. 2500A Display
- Twin Cities & Western modern, short line freight railroad locomotive Display
- Milwaukee Road Steam Locomotive No. 261 Display
Free activities for all ages including
- the Chuggington® Kids Depot with train-themed activities
- a large 40 X 40 foot MN Free-MO Modular Railroading exhibit
- large-scale, steam model Soo Line passenger locomotive.
- Exhibits by Operation Life Saver and the National Park Service.
- Vendors selling a wide variety of railroad-themed books, photographs, sketches, model railroad supplies and train memorabilia.
- The new bike/walk trail from Union Depot to the RailView Picnic Area also will open this weekend.
- New ticketed events –A night photography opportunity and multi-media shows by well-known railroad photographers.
- Free ride on a vintage bus to the Minnesota Transportation Museum (MTM) in St. Paul. Those who stop by the MTM booth and take the free shuttle will receive a discounted ticket to the museum.
Train Day Special Events at Union Depot on Saturday, April 30
Free Educational Sessions by three railroad professionals and photographers.
These new public sessions will be held in the Veterans Gallery.
- Willmar native Gary Nelson will discuss Great Northern Railway passenger trains
- Charles B. McCreary will discuss and show his photographs of Union Depot trains in the 1940s and 1950s
- Byron D. Olsen will describe his experiences photographing and riding Union Depot trains in the 1960s and 1970s.
Train Day Special Events at Union Depot on Sunday, May 1
Opening of Lowertown Bike Shop at Union Depot
The new Lowertown Bike Shop will offer a bike repair shop and indoor bike storage facility. In addition, the Lowertown Bike retail shop will be located on the main level of the Head House in Suite 160.
It’s gonna be an awesome day–National Train Day. Enjoy all the fun!