Things to do in Minneapolis-St Paul this weekend! So Long Winter!
March 14-15, 2020
MAPLE SYRUP SEASON
We’re upon the season of flowing sap and maple syrup. Get up close to observe this sweet process at an event at these Twin Cities parks or see our weekend picks below:
Fort Snelling State Park: Maple Syrup in Your Backyard
Learn about the equipment necessary and process for tapping maples in your own backyard. March 15, 1-2:30pm. FREE with $7 state park vehicle permit.
Get a little St Patrick’s Day preview this weekend!
An Irish Day of Dance | Landmark Center, St Paul.
Sunday, March 15, 11am-5pm, $5-$7/pp.
Irish Heritage Weekend | James J Hill House, St Paul
Explore the Irish heritage of the Hill family on a themed guided tour of the historic mansion. 1-5pm, $8-$12/pp.
PLAN AHEAD: ST PATRICK’S DAY PICKS
Two St Patrick’s Day parades march through the Twin Cities on March 17 to celebrate Irish heritage. Whether or not it’s in your blood, there’s plenty of spirit across the Twin Cities around St Patrick’s Day.
- St. Paul’s St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Rice Park, 12pm
- Minneapolis’ 51st Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade
Families are invited to participate in this parade ($25) or spectate for free. Marquette Ave, 6:30pm
- St. Patrick’s Day Irish Celebration
Regional and local Irish entertainment, Irish dance, Celtic vendors, Irish Cuisine, pipe bands and children’s crafts and entertainment. Landmark Center, St Paul,10am-5pm. $5-$7/pp.
MORE WEEKEND IDEAS
Free Ink Day | Highpoint Center for Printmaking, Minneapolis
Free Ink Day is a program hosted three times annually at Highpoint Center for Printmaking. It’s the perfect way for an interested person of any age to dabble in printmaking without committing to a full class. Activities are open to all ages, but most kids 5 & under will need a significant amount of help with the printmaking tools. Hit the link for tips on bringing youngsters. March 14, 12-4pm.
Free Family Art Day | Rumriver Art Center, Anoka
Take a free, hour-long art class designed for kids ages 5+ with caregivers. Reservations are required and can be made by phone at 763.323.8830 or online. March 14, 2 sessions: 12 & 2pm
Target Free 3rd Sunday | Minnesota Children’s Museum, St Paul
Explore the newly renovated and expanded museum free, including the new exhibit Hot Wheels: Race to Win! Keep in mind that this program is very popular and you may wait in line to be admitted. Sun, March 15, 9am-5pm.
A trip to the Como Park Zoo & Conservatory can instantly lift the spirits in those first few fickle weeks of spring in Minnesota. Here’s what you can catch blooming in the month of March – the cost is only what you choose to donate:
- The Spring Flower Show in the Conservatory’s Sunken Garden is a beautiful blast of color and the blooms instantly transport you to gardening season. Opens March 28.
- Como’s Lil Explorer Thursdays program, featuring free weekly themed hands-on activities for preschoolers, runs through April 2020.
- Storytime is offered for kids at noon every day in the Visitor Center.
Always free to visit weekends
- Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden – adjacent to the Walker Art Center (free each first Saturday/month)
- Weisman Art Museum – located on the Minneapolis campus of the University of Minnesota
- Como Park Zoo & Conservatory – note that fall & winter hours are 10am-4pm.
Find hundreds more things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul with kids!
During this cold weather, find tons of fun indoor games for kids you can play right at home.