Things to do in Minneapolis-St Paul this weekend!
June 8-9, 2019
There is so much going on this weekend in the Twin Cities that our heads were spinning trying to choose what to share with you! Here’s what made the cut; for more inspiration on spending family time together this weekend, check our June Family Guide or our Family Fun Calendar.
National Get Outdoors Day – Saturday, June 8
Twin Cities – Get Outdoors Day Events
- Powderhorn Park | Minneapolis: Celebrating on the eve of Get Outdoors Day for an evening of free outdoor fun such as rock climbing, canoeing, archery, fishing, camp games and more. Fri, June 7, 4-8pm.
- Richardson Nature Center | Bloomington: Hike with a naturalist on a two-mile, moderately-paced hike through various habitats. This event is geared towards ages 8+. 10-11am, FREE.
- William O’Brien State Park | Stillwater: Learn how to use a GPS unit before heading onto the trail to find some specially placed caches. Win a collectible card for completing the park’s new Aquatic Quest geocaching program, plus a special edition card for attending the program. GPS units will be provided+. Meet at the Visitor Center. 10:30am-12pm, FREE.
- Regularly $7 per vehicle, admission is free to encourage families to get out in Minnesota State Parks & Recreation Areas on National Get Outdoors Day. We’re lucky here in the Twin Cities to have 6 Minnesota State Parks within 60 miles of the heart of the Metro.
MAKE A SPLASH – POOL & BEACH OPENINGS
As the line between late spring and early summer starts to melt away in the rising temps, it’s time to visit your favorite splash spot – or find a new one! Jump over to our complete Twin Cities Guide to Water Fun to see what’s already open. Ready to welcome swimmers this weekend are:
- Minneapolis wading pools attached to a public school open Saturday, June 8 – meaning ALL wading pools are open for business. Many of them are no-frills with a standard depth of about 18″ but a few have been updated with fun spray features and zero-depth entry. All are located adjacent to a playground, rest rooms and space to spread out with a picnic. And all are FREE! Find our complete list at the link.
- Lifeguards start duty this weekend at select Minneapolis beaches & Ramsey County beaches.
Friday, June 7
- Shady Oak Beach | Minnetonka
- Bunker Beach Water Park | Coon Rapids
- Richfield Outdoor Pool | Richfield
Saturday, June 8
- Apple Valley Family Aquatic Center
- Bloomington Family Aquatic Center
- Battle Creek Waterworks | Maplewood
- Como Regional Park Pool & Highland Park Aquatic Center | St Paul
- Crystal Cove Aquatic Center | Crystal
Sunday, June 9
- Bush Lake Beach | Bloomington
For our master list of Twin Cities splash pads, click here or tap on the frog below:
SUMMER FUN IN THE PARKS
Sat, June 8: Summer Celebration & Ribbon Cutting | French Regional Park, Plymouth
Three Rivers Park District wants to share the new (as of last year) play area and completion of the improved trails. Enjoy music, treats and the awesome play equipment. 10am-1pm.
Over 100 unique radio-controlle
Sun, June 9: Minneapolis Movies in the Park | Loppet Trailhead Building, Theodore Wirth Park
Princess and the Frog will be screened 15 after sunset. For more free & cheap summer movies in the parks click HERE.