Things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul this weekend!
This July Twin Cities Family Weekend Guide covers the weekend of July 2-3, 2022 – plus Fourth of July/Independence Day! To find our most recent guide, click here.
As always, you can check our JULY FAMILY GUIDE, our 2022 ULTIMATE TWIN CITIES SUMMER FUN GUIDE or our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR for more fun ideas on what to do Fourth of July Weekend in the Twin Cities with your kids!
Twin Cities Independence Day/July 4th Events
YES! Fourth of July festivities are on in full force across the Twin Cities this year – parades, fireworks and other ways to celebrate with your family & community. We have all the details on city-hosted events wrapped up in our GUIDE TO INDEPENDENCE DAY IN THE TWIN CITIES.
Here’s a QUICK LIST of all the 2022 fireworks displays planned for Twin Cities communities this weekend. Most are attached to a city festival. For more details on the festivals, please skip over to the guide.
FRIDAY, JULY 1ST
- RICHFIELD: Band Shell, 636 E 66th St, Richfield, MN 55423. This year there will be a Laser Light Show in place of fireworks.
- SAINT PAUL: CHS Field, 360 N Broadway St, St Paul, MN 55101. Fireworks show after the Saints v. Storm Chasers game (and every Friday home game). Tickets.
SATURDAY, JULY 2ND
- HAM LAKE: Ham Lake Lions Park, 1220 157th Ave NE, Ham Lake, MN. Fireworks at 10pm.
SUNDAY, JULY 3RD
- BLOOMINGTON: Normandale Lake Park, 5901 West 84th Street, Bloomington, MN 55438. Fireworks at dusk
- EDEN PRAIRIE: Sparklefest, Staring Lake Park, 14800 Pioneer Trail. Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55347. Mini Kids Fireworks – 6pm-9:45pm.
- EDINA: Rosland Park, 4300 W 66th St, Edina, MN 55435. Band concert at 8:45. Fireworks at dusk.
MONDAY, JULY 4TH
- APPLE VALLEY: Johnny Cake Ridge Park East, Apple Valley, MN 55124. Arrive early for a pre-fireworks family party beginning at 6pm; fireworks at 10pm.
- BLAINE: National Sports Center, 1700 105th Ave NE Blaine, MN 55449. Fireworks at 10pm.
- CHANHASSEN: Lake Ann Park, 1456 West 78th Street, Chanhassen, MN 55317. Fireworks at 10pm.
- COON RAPIDS: Coon Rapids Ice Center, 1100 Crooked Lake Boulevard, Coon Rapids, MN 55433. Fireworks at 10pm.
- EAGAN: 1501 Central Pkwy, Eagan, MN 55121. Fireworks at 10pm.
- EDEN PRAIRIE: Round Lake Park, 16691 Valley View Road Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55346. Fireworks at 10pm.
- EXCELSIOR: Excelsior Commons, 135 Lake St, Excelsior, MN 55331. South Lake Minnetonka – fireworks at 9:45pm.
- FOREST LAKE: Lakeside Memorial Park, 95 E Broadway Ave, Forest Lake, MN 55025 – fireworks at 10pm.
- LAKEVILLE: Lakeville North High School, 19600 Ipava Ave, Lakeville, MN 55044. Fireworks at 10pm.
- MAPLEWOOD: Hazelwood Park, 1663 County Rd C E, Maplewood, MN 55109. Fireworks at 10pm.
- ROSEVILLE: Central Park, 2540 Lexington Avenue North, Roseville, MN 55113. Fireworks over Bennett Lake at 10pm.
- STILLWATER: Lowell Park, 201 Water St N, Stillwater, MN 55082. Fireworks at dusk.
- ST LOUIS PARK: Aquila Park, 3110 Xylon Ave S, St Louis Park, MN 55426 – fireworks at dusk.
- WOODBURY: M Health Fairview Sports Center, 4125 Radio Dr., Woodbury, MN 55129. Fireworks at 10pm.
- WHITE BEAR LAKE: Manitou Days Fireworks – Memorial Beach, 4980 Lake Ave, White Bear Lake, MN 55110. Fireworks, Flyover & Music 8pm-11pm.
FUN OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES IN THE PARKS THIS WEEKEND
Featured here for the weekend is just a taste of all that’s going on across the incredible Twin Cities park systems. You can get more ideas on our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR or browse the links below to search for local fun events & things to do with kids this weekend in parks across the Minneapolis-St Paul metro.
SOME FUN FAMILY IDEAS FOR THIS WEEKEND
Summers in Minnesota just beg for a picnic – meals outdoors on blankets with the early evening sun still streaming down and juicy summer fruits packed in the cooler. All of the picnic sites featured on our list of 10 PLACES FOR THE PERFECT PICNIC IN MINNEAPOLIS are located within lovely Minneapolis parks. Get inspired for picnic sites and picnic foods at the link.
FEATURED TWIN CITIES PARK EVENTS THIS WEEKEND
7210 County Rd 110 W, Minnetrista, MN 55364
You’re invited to visit the animals and explore the barn, gardens, greenhouses and pastures. Reservations recommended. July 2, 2022, 9:30am-12pm, $5/pp. Learn more about a visit to GALE WOODS FARM with kids.
Live theater, music & movies in the park this weekend? Just add a picnic dinner and a blanket or camp chairs and you’re all set for a FREE night out with the family. Here’s the lineup:
Peavey Plaza, 1101 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55403
Explore children’s stories through music and interactive activities. Our tip: if you’re able, take the light rail into downtown Minneapolis. It’s a fun event in and of itself! July 2, 2022. Sessions at 12 & 12:30pm. FREE.
Lowry Nature Center, Carver Park, 7025 Victoria Drive, Victoria, MN 55386
Highlight: A “try it” activity to spark curiosity about nature and what you might find in the park. Explore the indoor nature center exhibits, discover the outdoor nature play area and lots more around the park. July 2, 2022, 1-3pm. FREE.
29836 St Croix Trail N, Shafer, MN 55074
Fun family day trip idea and FREE (minus the gas and produce)! Shop at the farmers market and explore the art installments. We recommend pairing this outing with our list of FUN THINGS TO DO WITH KIDS NEAR TAYLORS FALLS, MINNESOTA.
Cool off this weekend in the twin cities
As summer heats up into July, it’s time to visit your favorite splash spot – or find a new one! Jump over to our complete TWIN CITIES ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE BEST BEACHES, POOLS, WATERPARKS & SPLASH PADS or continue for a few ideas:
- Minneapolis wading pools are fun, free and some are splash and elaborate. Find our complete list at the link.
- We include our family favorites in our list of 20+ BEACHES, PARKS & PLAYGROUNDS TO TRY THIS SUMMER. This weekend we’re featuring LAKE JOHANNA BEACH in Tony Schmidt Regional Park, Arden Hills.
This is an ideal spot for the youngest beach babes. We love this beach for its clean, soft sand and playground so close to the shoreline that we have no problem letting older children play while keeping an eye on the younger ones in the small swim area. There is space to picnic nearby in the large pavilion.
- Swimming pools are always a hit for their slides and fun features. This weekend we’re featuring SANDVENTURE AQUATIC PARK in Shakopee.
Chlorinated water with a sand bottom and beach, slides and special discount days.
- Don’t forget that splash pads are a perfect place to cool off without the full investment of a day at the pool. This week we highlight the splash pad at HEALTHEAST SPORTS CENTER in Woodbury. Right next to the terrific MADISON’S PLACE INCLUSIVE PLAYGROUND.
- Get our huge list of the best 35 Splash Pads & Wading Pools in the Twin Cities!
Many outdoor pools in the Twin Cities offer special tot swim hours so littler ones can get some splash time in before the big kids arrive. You can find these tot swims at the following pools this weekend:
SATURDAY TOT SWIMS
- CASCADE BAY: Little Mates Tot Swim – select areas of the waterpark open from 9:30-10:30am. $6/child, one adult free. 1360 Civic Center Drive, Eagan, MN 55122.
- CRYSTAL COVE: Little Splashers Pool Time is for kids ages 7 & under to enjoy the zero-depth entry pool. 10-11:30am, $3/child, adults free. 4848 Douglas Dr N, Crystal, MN 55429.
- HIGHLAND PARK AQUATIC CENTER: Tot time for kids 6 & under. 9:30-11am. $4/pp children and adults. 1840 Edgcumbe Rd, St Paul, MN 55116.
- RICHFIELD OUTDOOR POOL: Kids ages 7 & under get the zero-depth-entr
y wading pool and water play equipment to themselves. 10-11am, $9/kids, $11/adults. 630 East 66th Street, Richfield, MN 55423.
SUNDAY TOT SWIMS
- CASCADE BAY – Little Mates Tot Swim (see above)
- COMO REGIONAL PARK POOL: Tot Time swim is for kids ages 6 & under. 9:30-11am. $4/children and adults. 1151 Wynne Ave Saint Paul, MN 55108.
more ideas for things to do this weekend in the twin cities
You must act fast to snag free passes to the museum on its monthly free day, but if you’re able you’ll be rewarded with a chance to visit the brand new Shipwrecked Adventures exhibit. July 3, 2022.
Choose from 14 fun outdoor courses in our guide to the best MINI GOLF IN THE TWIN CITIES.
The strawberry season is nearing its end but there’s still time to check our guide to TWIN CITIES AREA STRAWBERRY PATCHES to see what’s picking.
- VISIT THE SEALS AT COMO HARBOR – COMO PARK ZOO & CONSERVATORY has a relatively new seal habitat with an underwater viewing area. FREE!
- FIRST FREE SATURDAY AT WALKER ART CENTER – Family art activities in the museum and MINNEAPOLIS SCULPTURE GARDEN from 10am-3pm. Pick up a free art kit to take home. July 2, 2022.
Always free to visit weekends: