Things to do in Minneapolis-St Paul this weekend!
JANUARY 26-27, 2019
We’ve got the scoop on the coolest carnival in town. The fun officially begins Thursday, Jan 24 with a parade all are welcome to join in downtown and continues through the weekend with tons of outdoor activities.
- Thurs, Jan 24: Moonglow Pedestrian Parade | Kicks off at 6pm outside Landmark Center in downtown St Paul. Any and all are welcome to join in. New this year, kids can enter to win a prize for dressing themselves or their wheels up.
- Thurs, Jan: Ice Sculpture carving begins | Watch the ice carvers work their magic for the annual competition; visit the sculptures throughout the run of the Winter Carnival in Kellogg Mall Park.
- Fri, Jan 25: Minnesota State Snow Sculpting Competition | Come watch works of art whittled out of the snow (yes, we promise there will be snow) and vote for your favorites. Located on the State Fairgrounds.
- Fri, Jan 25: Vulcan Snow Park activities open | Our kids love plummeting down the thrilling snow slide ($2 per run or $15 day pass) and navigating the mini snow maze. Brand new is the Vulcan Fire Castle, home to 9 holes of Snow Golf ($5 per round) – can’t wait until my teen tries this! Snow Park is located in the Kidway area of the Minnesota State Fairgrounds.
- Sun, Jan 27: Vulcan Fun Day | The Snow Park heats up with Vulcan fire truck rides and a mini medallion hunt for kids in addition to the other daily snowy activities.
- Sun, Jan 27: King Boreas Grand Day Parade | Processes east down West 7th to Kellogg Mall Park, 2pm.
- Sun, Jan 27: Kids Day | Warm up inside Landmark Center with activities just for kids. 2-6pm.
MORE CARNIVALS AROUND TOWN
Fri, Jan 25: Winter Blast | Staring Lake Park, Eden Prairie
Sledding, ice skating (BYO skates), crafts, outdoor games, and a bonfire. 4:30-7:30pm, FREE.
Sat, Jan 26: Lake Harriet Winter Kite Festival | Lake Harriet Park, Minneapolis
Kites fly over the frozen lake. Families can ice fish, snowshoe and take a wagon ride. 12-4pm, FREE.
Sat, Jan 26: 12th Annual Art Sled Rally | Powderhorn Park, Minneapolis
Bring a sled of your own creation and race it or have fun as a spectator! 2pm, FREE.
Sat, Jan 26: Winter Fun Day | Oak Hill Park, St Louis Park
Bonfires, sledding, snowshoeing, music, hayrides, and cocoa & smores. 12-4pm, FREE.
Sat, Jan 26: WinterFest | Lake Elmo Park Reserve
Great for families with older kids! XC ski lessons w/ equipment provided, biking demos and food trucks. FREE admission with vehicle permit ($7), ski pass required for lessons ages 16+ ($6/day). 9am-3pm.
Sat, Jan 26: 19th Annual Snow Day | Wargo Nature Center, Lino Lakes
Try out a variety of winter outdoor activities. 1-4pm, FREE.