This rich gingerbread cutout cookies recipe makes soft cut-out cookies that are perfect for the holiday cookie exchange. Kids love to decorate gingerbread “people” and use frosting and other edible bits to personalize their creations.
Holiday Gingerbread Cut-out Cookies
- ¾ cup butter softened
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 egg large
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a large bowl, cream brown sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add egg and molasses.
- Combine flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt, then gradually add to the creamed mixture. Mix all ingredients well.
- Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours or overnight for best results.
- Preheat oven to 350. Flour your surface lightly, then roll dough to desired thickness. Cut with your choice of cookie cutters and place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are firm; 8-10 minutes. Cool cookies and decorate!
“Run, Run as fast you can. You can’t catch me, I’m the gingerbread man.”
Gingerbread House Pattern from the Norway House
If you are looking for a pattern for a house, the Norway House offers this one. They are also a great place to find Gingerbread House Ideas. Every year they offer Gingerbread Wonderland – an exhibit of community-made gingerbread houses – some are elaborate others are made by families or even kids.
More Christmas Cookie Ideas
- If you like to mix it up, add some of these Easy Sugar Cookies in with your Gingerbread Cutout Cookies
- Want to Bake Cookies elsewhere to avoid the mess at home?: Where to Make Christmas Cookies in the Twin Cities.
- Don’t want to bake at all? Cookie Cart is a great organization that provides teens with work experience and training in an urban nonprofit bakery. Order your cookies from them and everyone wins.
- You can find More Recipes on our Family Recipes Pinterest Board.