It doesn’t have to break the bank to entertain the family away from home in the Twin Cities! You’ll find August’s seasonal and ongoing events and activities listed here that all cost $5 or less per person to attend. For more ideas on budget and FREE family outings, check our Family Fun Calendar or hop over to our Free Twin Cities August Family Events & Activities page.
TWIN CITIES AUGUST SPECIAL EVENTS – $5/PP OR LESS
8/5/19-8/11/19: Dakota County Fair | Farmington | $2-$5/pp | Included in admission price are free exhibits and attractions, live entertainment, and entrance into the Dakota City Heritage Village. For a deeper discount, visit on FREE on Aug 5, 2019.
8/7/19: Daily Life on the Farm | Eidem Homestead, Brooklyn Park | 12-4pm | $5/pp at the door, 5 & under FREE | Help out with farm chores, visit the animals and explore the restored farmhouse. Also held 8/24/19.
8/10/19: CAP Super Saturday | Caponi Art Park, Eagan | 10am-12pm, suggested donation $5/pp | Interactive performances w/ music, dance, and art activities. Explore the sculpture trails. Snacks included. Also held 8/24/19.
8/22/19: $3 Community Dinner | Mississippi Market, St Paul | 5-8pm | Enjoy a meal, music and free samples.
TWIN CITIES AUGUST WATER PLAY ACTIVITIES – $5-6/PP OR LESS
• Elm Creek Swimming Pond | Maple Grove | 9am-8pm | $5/pp | Chlorinated w/ sand beach, close to an elaborate playground, nature center and historic site.
• Lake Minnetonka Swimming Pond | Minnetrista | 9am-8pm | $5/pp | Chlorinated w/ sand beach.
• Jim Lupient Water Park | Minneapolis | $3-$5/pp
• North Commons Water Park | Minneapolis | $3-$5/pp
• Lakeside Commons Park & Beach | Blaine | $5/non-res, residents FREE | Public beach, splash pad, playground, and water rentals.
• Carver County swimming beach lifeguards on duty – 2 locations, $5/vehicle permit
WATER PARKS WITH TWILIGHT DISCOUNTS – $5-$6/PP OR LESS
• Shady Oak Beach | Minnetonka | $3/pp after 6pm
• SandVenture Aquatic Park | Shakopee | $3-$5/pp after 5pm
• St Louis Park Outdoor Aquatic Park | $5/pp after 4:30pm
• Battle Creek Waterworks | Maplewood | $5-$7/pp after 6pm
• Crystal Cove Aquatic Center | Crystal | $6/pp after 5pm
• Battle Creek Waterworks | Maplewood | Tot Tuesday & Thursday: Ongoing Tues & Thurs thru 2019 season, 9:30-10:30am | $2.50/pp ages 5 & under with guardian, additional fee of $4.50/pp if staying after 10:30am.
• Como Park Regional Pool | St Paul | Tot Time: Saturdays through 2019 season, 9:30am-11am | $8/parent and child pair, $4/additional child is $4, ages 0-6. Only the splash pad is open during this time. All are welcome to stay for open swim at 11:00am at no extra charge.
• Crystal Cove Aquatic Center | Crystal | Little Splashers Pool-Time: Select Saturdays, 10:30am-12:30pm | $3/child ages 7 & under, adults free | Only the zero-depth pool will be open. Pool closes at 12:30 pm and re-opens at 1:15 pm with normal admission fees and hours.
• Lorraine Park Splash Pool | South St Paul | Toddler Time: Mon-Fri 11am-12:30pm | $2/pp, caregivers and children 2-3 yrs.
• St Louis Park Aquatic Center | Parent & Tot Time: Mon– Fri, 10-11am | $5/ages 1-5 yrs, $9.50/ages 6+ | Exclusive use of the shallow end of the pool with its splash features for tots and their caregivers.
8/16/19: Family Fun & Fitness Fridays (Highland Pool, Como Pool) | St Paul | $2/pp during Open Swim hours.
Wild Wednesday | Grove Cove Aquatic Center, Maple Grove | Ongoing Wednesdays thru Aug 2019, 10am-8pm | $6/pp or $22/family, all members.
ONGOING AUGUST EVENTS & ACTIVITIES $5/PP OR LESS
Riverview Theater | Minneapolis | Ongoing $2 matinees
AMC Summer Movie Camp | Apple Valley location | Wed, 10am, thru 8/8/19 | $4 plus tax deal for ticket, popcorn & drink.
For more FREE summer movie deals, check the following link below:
Michaels Kids Club Crafts | Twin Cities Michaels locations | Ongoing Saturdays in August, 10am-noon | $3 per project, ages 3+. Please check the link for details, classes not available at all locations.
Saturday Mornings on the Farm | Gale Woods Farm, Minnetrista | Ongoing Saturdays in August, 9:30am-noon | $5/pp | Calling all farmhands! Help out with chores, spend time with the animals and participate in other spring farm activities. Closed-toe shoes required.
Raptor Center Tours | Gabbert Raptor Center, St Paul campus of the U of M | 30-minute tours every half hour, 10:30am-3:30pm, ongoing Tues-Fri | $3/ages 3-17, $5/adults | Bring kids of any age for a fun and educational visit. Meet some resident raptors, get hands-on with natural materials, and visit the kids’ play corner.
Bowl for a Buck | University of MN’s Coffman Union (Thurs, 5pm-close) & St Paul Student Center (all day Wed) | $1 per game plus $2 shoe rental.
TWIN CITIES PARENT & CHILD NATURE PROGRAMS $5/PP OR LESS
Explore the great outdoors in August right alongside your children! Nature centers and parks across the Twin Cities host hundreds of low-cost programs throughout the year. Please check our Family Fun Calendar for exact dates, times and costs for each family nature program.
TWIN CITIES PARENT-CHILD NATURE PROGRAMS $5/PP OR LESS
Carpenter St Croix Valley Nature Center | Hastings
Coon Rapids Dam Regional Park | Brooklyn Park
Eastman Nature Center | Dayton
Lowry Nature Center | Victoria
Maplewood Nature Center | Maplewood
Richardson Nature Center | Bloomington
Springbrook Nature Center | Fridley
Wargo Nature Center | Lino Lakes
Westwood Hills Nature Center | St Louis Park
Wood Lake Nature Center | Richfield
For more FREE summer play at Twin Cities Nature Centers, check the link below:
INDOOR PLAY $5-6 PER CHILD OR LESS
Brookview Backyard Indoor Playground, Golden Valley | Mon-Sat, 9am-8pm & Sun, 9:30am-5pm | $4-$5/pp | This brand-new, 3,000 sq ft facility opened December 2017.
Eagan Community Center: Preschool Open Play | Ongoing Mon-Fri, 9-11:30am | $4 per child, under 18 mons free | A variety of fun toys and sport equipment are available to play in the gym as well as play time in the Blast Indoor playground. For kids ages 1-5.
Millz House (Apple Valley): Open Play | Weekdays, 9am-4pm, $6/child or $18/family & Weekends, $8/child or $24/family. Find weekend hours here. | Work out the wiggles with indoor playsets, trampolines and basketball courts.
Shoreview Community Center: Tropical Adventure Indoor Playground | Open Play hours: Mon-Sat: 8am – 8pm, Sun: 8am – 6pm | $5.25/per child ages 1-12, adults free.