Things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul this weekend!
This Twin Cities Family Weekend Guide covers the weekend of Aug 13-14, 2022. To find our most recent guide, click here.
Need more inspiration? You can always consult our AUGUST FAMILY GUIDE, our 2022 ULTIMATE TWIN CITIES SUMMER FUN GUIDE or our fully-stocked FAMILY FUN CALENDAR for more fun ideas on what to do this weekend in the Twin Cities with your kids!
Looking for ideas on what to do with your kids in the Twin Cities this week? Definitely jump over to our TWIN CITIES GUIDE TO FAMILY ACTIVITIES THIS WEEK.
Twin Cities festivals this weekend for the family
Festivals in the Twin Cities are still going strong in the month of August. For further weekend planning, check our AUGUST FAMILY FESTIVAL CALENDAR. This weekend we’re highlighting a couple of local community festivals that could be a good alternative for kids to the big-time MINNESOTA STATE FAIR, taking place in late August.
Eagan: Food Truck Festival
Music by B2wins and Flash Mob. FREE admission, food available to purchase from 20+ food truck vendors. Friday, August 12, 4-9pm.
Minneapolis: Open Streets East Lake
East Lake is closed to car traffic between 2nd Ave S and 22nd Ave S. in order for pedestrians and those on small wheels to explore local businesses. August 13, 2022.
New Brighton: Stockyard Days
Family activities in Long Lake Regional Park, a kiddie parade, petting zoo, and fireworks. Aug 11-13, 2023.
Newport: Pioneer Day
Pioneer Memorial Park at 611 4th Avenue, Newport MN
Parade at 11am followed by live music and entertainment.
Rockford: Rockford River Days
Carnival, fireworks & Grand Parade. August 12-14, 2022.
St Paul: Irish Fair of Minnesota
Meet Irish dogs, explore Irish instruments, take an Irish dance lesson, and craft in the Art Tent. Held on Harriet Island Regional Park. Tickets are $15-$20/pp for adults. Aug 12-14, 2022.
Fun OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES in twin cities Parks This Weekend
How to narrow down all this summertime family fun?
Featured here for the weekend is just a taste of all that’s going on across the Twin Cities. You can get the full schedule on our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR or browse the links below to search for local fun events & things to do with kids this weekend.
- FIND COMMUNITY FAMILY EVENTS IN THE TWIN CITIES NORTHWEST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE NORTHEAST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE SOUTHEAST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE SOUTHWEST METRO
SOME FUN FAMILY IDEAS FOR THIS WEEKEND
You need not travel far from home to explore one; FORT SNELLING STATE PARK lies right along the bottoms where the Mississippi & Minnesota Rivers meet – in the heart of the Twin Cities! We have recently explored the park by bike and found a beach, playground, fishing pier and, atop the bluff, the commanding HISTORIC FORT SNELLING. You can purchase a grounds pass for $8/pp and take a self-guided storybook hike while the fort is under construction. Fort Snelling State Park is one of 9 MINNESOTA STATE PARKS one hour or less from our home in St Paul.
FEATURED TWIN CITIES PARK EVENTS THIS WEEKEND
Fun and free for all ages! Come for music, quarter ice cream cones, roving magic shows, the organ grinder, “penny farthing” bicycles and lighthouse night with Edina Model Yacht Club. Aug 14, 2022, starting at 6:30pm.
7210 County Rd 110 W, Minnetrista, MN 55364
GALE WOODS FARM invites you and your kids to visit the animals and explore the barn, gardens, greenhouses and pastures. Reservations required. Aug 13, 2022, 9am-12pm, $5/pp.
Silverwood Park, 2500 County Rd E, St Anthony, MN 55421
Take in a puppet show followed by make-and-take nature-inspired art. August 14, 2022, 1-3pm.
7720 Grimm Road, Victoria MN 55386
Step back in time with interpreters and old-fashioned lawn games. Plus, lots more outdoor exploration to do at CARVER PARK RESERVE, including the LOWRY NATURE CENTER. August 13, 2022, 1:30-4pm.
Living history open houses
- POND DAKOTA MISSION PARK: The FREE open houses typically feature hands-on activities to make the history lessons fun. This week learn how laundry was done at the turn of the century. Learn more about the park, located in Bloomington. August 13, 2022, 1-4pm.
- THE LANDING VILLAGE SAMPLER GUIDED TOURS: Get a taste of life in late 19th century Minnesota at this re-created historical village in Shakopee. August 13-14, 2022, 10am & 3pm. $5/pp.
Cool off this weekend in the twin cities
This summer has been awesome in terms of temperature! We’ve done more exploring than usual of new splash spots – go ahead and browse the finds in our complete TWIN CITIES ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE BEST BEACHES, POOLS, WATERPARKS & SPLASH PADS or continue for more ideas:
- MINNEAPOLIS WADING POOLS are fun, free and some are splashy and elaborate. We try to highlight a new location each week. Try the pool & playground at NORTH MISSISSIPPI REGIONAL PARK. It’s also very close to the CARL KROENING INTERPRETIVE CENTER if you’d like to pop in for fun exhibits and other nature play opportunities.
- We include our family favorites in our list of 20+ BEACHES, PARKS & PLAYGROUNDS TO TRY THIS SUMMER. Each week we’re excited to share a new beach one of our FFTC families has discovered – this weekend we’re highlighting BUSH LAKE BEACH in Bloomington. The parking fee has been waived again this year so the beach is completely free to visit! Make a day of it by visiting the enormous HYLAND PLAY AREA “aka Chutes & Ladders” nearby.
- Swimming pools are always a hit for their slides and fun features.
Have you tried BATTLE CREEK WATERWORKS WATERPARK in Maplewood yet? This pool is geared toward families with children 10 and under. There is a shallow water pool with interactive water play equipment and a separate activity pool with lily pad walk and swim area. For the grade school kids, there is a three story twisting waterslide.
- Don’t forget that splash pads are a perfect place to cool off without the full commitment and cost of a day at the pool. This week we highlight the splash pad at SHAKOPEE LIONS PARK located right next to the FUN FOR ALL PLAYGROUND!
- Search our giant list of the best 35 Splash Pads & Wading Pools in the Twin Cities.
Many outdoor pools in the Twin Cities offer special tot swim hours so littler ones can get some splash time in before the big kids arrive. You can find these tot swims at the following pools this weekend:
SATURDAY TOT SWIMS
- CASCADE BAY: Little Mates Tot Swim – select areas of the waterpark open from 9:30-10:30am. $6/child, one adult free. 1360 Civic Center Drive, Eagan, MN 55122.
- CRYSTAL COVE: Little Splashers Pool Time is for kids ages 7 & under to enjoy the zero-depth entry pool. 10-11:30am, $3/child, adults free. 4848 Douglas Dr N, Crystal, MN 55429.
- HIGHLAND PARK AQUATIC CENTER: Tot time for kids 6 & under. 9:30-11am. $4/pp children and adults. 1840 Edgcumbe Rd, St Paul, MN 55116.
- RICHFIELD OUTDOOR POOL: Kids ages 7 & under get the zero-depth-entr
y wading pool and water play equipment to themselves. 10-11am, $9/kids, $11/adults. 630 East 66th Street, Richfield, MN 55423.
SUNDAY TOT SWIMS
- CASCADE BAY – Little Mates Tot Swim (see above)
- COMO REGIONAL PARK POOL: Tot Time swim is for kids ages 6 & under. 9:30-11am. $4/children and adults. 1151 Wynne Ave Saint Paul, MN 55108.
more ideas for things to do this weekend in the twin cities
Free block party and a movie for kids & families
Join MCM as they again fill the street in front of the museum with all sorts of fun activities for the entire family. The block party is FREE and open to everyone. Stay and play in the museum for a fee. August 13, 2022. 9am-2pm.
Target Field Station Amphitheater, Minneapolis
Activities themed to the exploring of natural landscapes: a climbing wall, live animals, rock scavenger hunt, face painting, art activities and a book reading. August 14, 11am-1pm, FREE!
Go on a Family Picnic
Summer weather in the Twin Cities just begs for a meal outdoors. Grab your cooler, blanket and kids and join us on a quest for the best spot for a picnic in Minneapolis among its beautiful parks and lakes.
August 14 is National Bowling Day
You can find more places to bowl on the weekends in A Strike of Fun: Twin Cities Bowling Alleys.
Explore the Minneapolis Riverfront
Always free to visit weekends: