It’s been over a month since we’ve returned from Thailand, and I’m ready to experience another culture again.
Cue Festival of Nations during the beginning of May. It’s open to the public Friday, May 2-Sunday, May 4, 2014.
What can you experience at the Festival of Nations?
The festival brings together people from over 90 ethnic groups around the world through exhibits, food, music, dance, and shopping.
Ticket Information: A World Pass, good for admission all days of the Festival, is a great value at $18 for adults and $12 for youth. NOTE: The World Pass is only available in advance at the International Institute of Minnesota March 21 through April 30.
Advance tickets are $11 for adults, $8 for youth 6 to 16, and free for children 5 and under, and are available between March 21 and April 30 at the International Institute of Minnesota and at Byerly’s Food Stores. During the event, tickets are available at the RiverCentre Box Office for $13.50 for adults, $8 for youth 6 to 16, and free for children 5 and under.
HIGHLIGHTS FOR 2014
- ENTERTAINMENT – Over 100 dancers and musicians perform on three stages throughout the Festival. On Friday, May 2, the Ticket to Brasil will perform a special concert from 7 to 10 p.m. on the Café Stage, free with festival admission.
- CULTURAL EXHIBITS – Community members will showcase their distinctive cultures through 52 special exhibits. Festival visitors can pick up a Festival of Nations Passport to be stamped at each stop.
- ETHNIC CAFÉS – From Palestinian falafel to Colombian tamales to Tibetan mo-mos and Norwegian lefse, enjoy fare served around the world at 32 ethnic food cafés. Proceeds from each café benefit local non-profit organizations.
- ETHNIC DEMONSTRATIONS – Community members will showcase their distinctive cultures through interactive exhibits. This is a fun and interactive activity for the whole family! Many folk artisans practicing crafts passed down through generations and interactive, educational demonstrations will be featured in over 26 different booths.
- INTERNATIONAL BAZAAR – Shopping from around the globe with booths representing 68 countries, with imported gifts including clothing, jewelry and artifacts from many cultures.
- INTERNATIONAL BEER EXPERIENCE – Last year’s inaugural event was such a hit that it’s coming back for another year. Patrons 21+ can enjoy beers from around the world and visit with Festival of Nations beer experts.
- NATURALIZATION CEREMONY – On Friday evening, in the Bazaar Courtyard, Festival of Nations visitors can watch as 15 people become U.S. citizens. The ceremony begins at 6:00 p.m.
- ART SLAM – Saturday features the festival’s first Art Slam, where six first-generation American artists will go head-to-head, creating artwork inspired by the festival’s theme, Peace Among the People.
taken from the Festival of Nations Press Release, images used with permission