Christmas cookies are one of the tastiest parts of the holiday season and are a fun kitchen project for kids. This easy sugar cookies recipe will yield platefuls of bright treats to leave out on Christmas Eve for Santa.
If you’d rather leave holiday baking to someone else’s space, make sure to check out our list of where to make Christmas cookies in the Twin Cities.
Easy Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup 2 sticks 16 tablespoonbutter, softened to cool room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Additional granulated sugar or sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees . Grease parchment paper and line pans.
- Cream butter and sugar really well together.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix and scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt separately and combine well after each addition..
- Roll cookie dough into bouncy ball sized balls. Roll in sugar and sprinkles and place on cookie sheets.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes.
Making These Easy Sugar Cookies with Kids
One of the best parts about these cookies is how fast they bake. When cooking with kids, instant gratification is a nice bonus. By the end, mom can grab a cup of tea and a couple cookies for herself and let the kids finish up. Get kids involved with the measuring and dumping and definitely the rolling. If you want them to do dishes, we recommend negotiating that before you start making the cookies.
More Christmas Cookie Ideas:
- If you like these easy sugar cookies, you may also enjoy our Holiday Gingerbread Cutout Cookies,
- And if you would like to leave the mess elsewhere, we find the Best places to Make Christmas Cookies in the Twin Cities
- If you really just don’t want to make them, you can help out a great cause and get cookies if you buy Your Cookies from Cookie Cart.
*Find the original recipe this one was based on at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.