Shady Oak Beach is a 85-acre park in Minnetonka with a large beach and a play area (that we include in our park directory). While the facility is owned by the City of Hopkins, it is operated by the Minnetonka’s Recreation Department. Other family-friendly amenities include a sand volleyball court and fishing area. This park has free off-street parking.
Pets are not allowed at this beach and picnics must not include cans or glass containers.
About The Beach
The sanded beach spans 76 feet across the shoreline of a clear spring-fed lake. Lifeguards are on duty when the beach is open. The lake is deep enough to allow the beach a high dive. Visitors can also rent canoes, kayaks and paddleboards.
Other useful amenities include a first-aid station and family, women's and men’s restrooms with changing areas. Parents will enjoy the patio area with umbrellas and the lap swimming area.
6 Ideas for Family Fun at Shady Oak Beach
Shady oak beach offers several amenities that can add to a fun family day at the beach. These include:
- Swim out to the Inflatables on the water. Life jackets are recommended.
- Rent a Canoe, kayak and/or paddleboard ($7-$10/hour in 2020)
- Bring your own or rent the gear to play sand volleyball
- Play with water and sand at the water tables.
- Cool down under the water misters
- And, when you tire of the beach, visit the playground, where we have more ideas for family fun.
Shady Oak Beach 2020 Hours of Operation
While the park itself is open from 5am to 10pm, the beaches hours are more limited and listed below:
- June 5th – July 31st: 10am-9pm
- Special July 4th Hours: 10am-7pm
- August 1st – August 23rd: 10am-8pm (weather dependent)
- Waterfront closes ½ hour before sunset
Birthday Parties at Shady Oak Beach
The beach offers birthday party packages for up to 20 children during the beach season. Parties can be booked between 11am and 6pm and can't last more than 2 hours. More information can be found here or call 952-939-8323.
Find More details and more birthday party ideas: Twin Cities Birthday Parties for Kids: Party in the Park.
Find This and Other Beaches in Splash Happy: Twin Cities Guide to Beaches, Pools, Water Parks & Splash Pads.