In Minnesota, family fun outdoors means embracing all four seasons. If you are on this page because you are looking for a new Twin Cities-area park, playground or nature center to explore, hundreds of entries can be found through our Parks & Playgrounds Search feature. Or, continue searching hundreds more ideas of things to do with kids in the Twin Cities through our Family Directory, including family outings, services, classes, camps, birthday parties and more.
Family Fun Directory of Things To Do with Kids:
Please refer to the Raptor Center's website for visitor information. It changes frequently and it is best to get your information directly from them.
A few fun facts you might not know about the University of Minnesota’s Raptor Center:
(1) Drop by this rehabilitation facility on the U of M's St. Paul campus Tuesdays through Fridays for
public tours on the half hour. The kids and I were lucky enough to pop in for the last tour of the day and had the place to ourselves, complete with a personal tour guide who tailored the visit to the attention span of my children. They loved the opportunity to get up close to the resident raptors (birds of prey) and ask as many questions as they wanted.
(2) More than 700 birds from bald eagles to peregrine falcons are treated each year at the facility. Veterinarians and vet students are trained onsite in avian medicine and surgery. Learn more about their work and what you can do to protect raptor habitats at The Raptors of Minnesota program presented Saturdays and Sundays at 1 p.m.
(3) Once rehab is complete, the raptors are released back into the wild at one of two annual Raptor Release events. Held at Hyland Lake Park Reserve, this free program is filled with close encounters, teaching moments and the chance to bid the birds farewell as they head to the horizon (hopefully never to return!)
This article was originally published by Anne Kingston May 2, 2013.
Articles Related to the Raptor Center
- Family Fun: Visit The Raptor Center
- Family Day Trip: National Eagle Center, Wabasha
- 10 Things for Kids: Richardson Nature Center & Hyland Lake Park
- Carpenter St. Croix Valley Nature Center