The Raptor Center is part of the University of Minnesota's College of Veterinarian Medicine. As a University run program, details change frequently and it is best to get your visitor information directly from them. Please refer to the website for details.
The Raptor Center is currently closed to the general public. This includes all onsite tours, program and birthday parties. Digital programming is available here.
A few fun facts you might not know about the University of Minnesota’s Raptor Center:
(1) Drop by this rehabilitation facility on the U of M's St. Paul campus Tuesdays through Fridays for public tours on the half hour. The kids and I were lucky enough to pop in for the last tour of the day and had the place to ourselves, complete with a personal tour guide who tailored the visit to the attention span of my children. They loved the opportunity to get up close to the resident raptors (birds of prey) and ask as many questions as they wanted.
(2) More than 700 birds from bald eagles to peregrine falcons are treated each year at the facility. Veterinarians and vet students are trained onsite in avian medicine and surgery. Learn more about their work and what you can do to protect raptor habitats at The Raptors of Minnesota program presented Saturdays and Sundays at 1 p.m.
(3) Once rehab is complete, the raptors are released back into the wild at one of two annual Raptor Release events. Held at Hyland Lake Park Reserve, this free program is filled with close encounters, teaching moments and the chance to bid the birds farewell as they head to the horizon (hopefully never to return!)
This article was originally published by Anne Kingston May 2, 2013.
Birthday Parties at the Raptor Center
Book a two-hour "hatchday party" for your raptor fan. Parties include a tour and a one-hour live raptor program followed by an hour for a private party. Families bring cake and refreshments and party supplies. Learn more here.
For more birthday party ideas like this: Twin Cities Birthday Parties for Kids: Animal Lovers
- Family Fun: Visit The Raptor Center
- Family Day Trip: National Eagle Center, Wabasha
- 10 Things for Kids: Richardson Nature Center & Hyland Lake Park
- Carpenter St. Croix Valley Nature Center