Kargel Park is an approximately 25-acre neighborhood park in Woodbury. Family-friendly amenities include an accessible playground, paved trails for walking or biking, and space for picnics with nearby restrooms (I've had mixed information on the bathrooms; they may not be open all the time). This park has off-street parking for approximately 35 vehicles.
6 Ideas for Family Fun at Kargel Park
- Let the kids run on the playground. The playground is well maintained. There are separate play sets for the big kids and the little kids plus a swing set. A park bench is conveniently positioned so parents can supervise both at the same time. Woodbury uses wood chips on their playground floors.
- Pack a picnic. There is plenty of green space to spread a blanket and shaded picnic tables under the park building's overhang on the opposite of the playground. Note: You won't be able to see the playground from this shelter.
- Take a Walk. The stroller-friendly paved path leads through a wooded area with natural plantings. It is only about the length of three football fields (350ish yards), so it is a perfect walk for toddlers. For older kids, it could be fun to bring a wildflower identification book and spend a little more time examining the plants. If you are willing to explore off the paved area, the park touches Wilmes Lake on the south side of Brookview road.
- Play running games in the green space. There is room for tag, kickball or similar games.
- Ice Skate in the Winter. This is a favorite hockey rink of residents as the ice is maintained regularly and a warming house is available for skaters who need a break.
- Include this park in a longer bike ride. The Tamarack Road side of this park connects to a longer bike path that connects to other parks in the city.
Photos of Kargel Playground
Twin Cities Fun In The Sun reviewed this park in 2013 and shares photos of the playground and party space.
Birthday Parties at Kargel Park
Winter at Kargel Park
Kargel is one of five Woodbury parks with an outdoor rink and staffed warming house. Weather permitting, Woodbury maintains its ice rinks from approximately late-December through the end of February. Skaters can call the City's weather line at (651) 714-3569 for up-to-date details. Rink hours are 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. on school days and 1 p.m. to 9 p.m. on weekends and school release days. We have been told this park is not lighted after dark, which would leave little time for skating on week nights during the dark winter evenings.