You may have visited Afton Heights Park in Maplewood, assuming it was part of Battle Creek Regional Park. The two parks touch on two sides. This 12 acre neighborhood park with youth athletic fields is managed by the City of Maplewood, while Battle Creek is managed by Ramsey County.
Family friendly amenities include a playground, space to picnic, trails and sports fields. In the winter, this park has a steep slope down to Battle Creek Regional Park that makes a good sledding hill. It also has a hockey rink with a warming house. The neighborhood winter skating area is not in this park, but it links to it by trails.
The park is the site many Maplewood events.
10 Fun Things for Families at Afton Heights Park
- Practice hitting and catching on the baseball fields. Bring your own baseball gear.
- Or, just have fun running the bases on the baseball field. No gear required.
- Instead, bring a playground ball and play kickball around the bases.
- Take the playground ball to the open space for a game of dodgeball.
- Play four-square with your playground ball
- Play a Game of Follow the Leader on the playground. Or just sit and read while the kids play.
- Grab a rock to play hopscotch
- Bring your gear and practice hockey on the winter outdoor rink; and bring a thermos of cocoa while you warm up in the warming house
- Sled down the sledding hill into Battle Creek Regional Park
- Bring your skates a take the trail to the neighborhood winter skating area
Birthday Parties at Afton Heights Park
Afton Heights has a park building that is available to rent for birthday parties and other private events. Expect a fee and a damage deposit.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 651.249.2120 for availability and to reserve the shelter.
For more birthday party ideas like this: Twin Cities Birthday Parties for Kids: Party in the Park