Things to do in Minneapolis & St Paul this weekend!
This Twin Cities Family Weekend Guide covers the weekend of Aug 6-7, 2022. To find our most recent guide, click here.
Need more inspiration? You can always consult our AUGUST FAMILY GUIDE, our 2022 ULTIMATE TWIN CITIES SUMMER FUN GUIDE or our fully-stocked FAMILY FUN CALENDAR for more fun ideas on what to do this weekend in the Twin Cities with your kids!
Looking for ideas on what to do with your kids in the Twin Cities during the long summer days? Definitely jump over to our TWIN CITIES GUIDE TO FAMILY ACTIVITIES THIS WEEK for lots of inspiration.
Twin Cities Festivals this weekend for the family
fun outdoor activities in twin cities parks this weekend
How to narrow down all this summertime family fun?
Featured here for the weekend is just a taste of all that’s going on across the Twin Cities. You can get the full schedule on our FAMILY FUN CALENDAR or browse the links below to search for local fun events & things to do with kids this weekend.
- FIND COMMUNITY FAMILY EVENTS IN THE TWIN CITIES NORTHWEST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE NORTHEAST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE SOUTHEAST METRO
- FIND EVENTS IN THE SOUTHWEST METRO
SOME FUN FAMILY IDEAS FOR THIS WEEKEND:
NEED MORE SCULPTURE IN YOUR LIFE? Try 12 MINNESOTA SCULPTURE PARKS TO VISIT WITH KIDS.
Pond Dakota Mission Park: Grasshoppers in My Bed!
Hands-on living history programs fun and free of charge. New themes each Saturday. Drop in Aug 6, 2022, from 1-4pm.
Try out one of these Twin Cities Disc Golf Courses. This is a great outing for those active but hard-to-please teens and tweens.
Activities may include animal interactions, outdoor displays, nature challenges and checking out free exploration materials. Held at LOWRY NATURE CENTER (Victoria). Aug 6, 2022, 1-3pm, FREE.
Try visiting a Minnesota State Park with your family!
Last weekend, our family visited NERSTRAND BIG WOODS STATE PARK for the first time in 12 (!) years. The park, with its sweet little “hidden” waterfall, is one of 9 MINNESOTA STATE PARKS one hour or less from our home in St Paul. Love waterfalls? We’ve included these falls on our list of 8 METRO-AREA WATERFALLS TO VISIT WITH KIDS.
Would you prefer a park outing closer to home? Check out the links on our big list of Twin Cities nature & interpretive centers for all the details. Did you know that several of these nature centers have natural playgrounds nestled within them? You can build with natural materials, climb, balance, even wade and garden at some of the more elaborate spaces. Find our list of the best Twin Cities Nature Playgrounds.
This gem tucked away in Maplewood is open one Sunday/month in the summer for FREE. There are some fun exhibits for kids, including a fire truck to climb on, and volunteers typically offer a craft and guide you through the farmhouse. Aug 7, 2022, 11am-2pm.
Cool off this weekend in the twin cities
We’ve spent plenty of time this summer exploring new splash spots – go ahead and browse the finds in our complete TWIN CITIES ULTIMATE GUIDE TO THE BEST BEACHES, POOLS, WATERPARKS & SPLASH PADS or continue for more ideas:
- MINNEAPOLIS WADING POOLS are fun, free and some are splashy and elaborate. We try to highlight a new location each week. Try the pool & playground at LAKE HIAWATHA PARK, or find our complete list at the link.
- We include our family favorites in our list of 20+ BEACHES, PARKS & PLAYGROUNDS TO TRY THIS SUMMER. Each week we’re excited to share a new beach one of our FFTC families has discovered – this weekend we’re highlighting CENTERVILLE LAKE BEACH, located in the northern Twin Cities suburb of Lino Lakes and part of the RICE CREEK CHAIN OF LAKES PARK RESERVE. If you can, bring bikes. An easy trail roughly follows the southern half of the lake and winds through the namesake chain of lakes.
- Swimming pools are always a hit for their slides and fun features. Have you tried HIGHLAND PARK AQUATIC CENTER in St Paul yet? Bigger kids will enjoy its two-story water slide and climbing wall, while small kids can play in the splash pad. There is also a lap pool and diving boards.
- Don’t forget that splash pads are a perfect place to cool off without the full commitment and cost of a day at the pool. This week we highlight the interactive splash fountains at MAPLE GROVE CENTRAL PARK. There’s an awesome, challenging playground next door for extra fun!
- Search our giant list of the best 35 Splash Pads & Wading Pools in the Twin Cities.
more ideas for things to do this weekend in the twin cities
Reserve your free tickets and visit the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden for music, performances, and fun. Pick up an art kit to make art in the Garden or at home. Aug 6, 2022, 10am-3pm.
TAKE A FAMILY BIKE RIDE!
Here are some suggestions for a trip that’s not too taxing to do with kids:
- Smooth & level trails near a beach & huge playground: ELM CREEK PARK RESERVE, Maple Grove
- Around a scenic lake: Pick one of the MINNEAPOLIS CHAIN OF LAKES.
- Feels far away but is totally urban: BATTLE CREEK REGIONAL PARK, St Paul.
- A little challenge for the mountain bikers: COTTAGE GROVE BIKE PARK or CARVER LAKE PARK, Woodbury.