Summer picnics call for a tasty almond chicken salad that is super simple to put together. For extra ease, buy a rotisserie chicken and all you’ll have to do is shred it. The rest of the ingredients are chopped before being added – onion to give it flavor, celery to add some crunch, and red pepper for a pop of color. If you’re not able to use nuts in your family – or simply don’t care for the taste – the almonds can be easily removed from the recipe.
How kids can help
Kids will likely be more excited to try a new kind of sandwich at the picnic if they’ve had a hand in creating it. Depending on their ages and skill in the kitchen, they could help shred the chicken with a fork or chop vegetables with your trust.
Almond Chicken Salad
- 1 rotisserie chicken for ease, or use baked chicken tenders
- 6 green onions chopped
- 4 ribs celery chopped
- 1 7 oz jar red pepper rinsed, drained and chopped
- 1 cup sliced almonds toasted
- 1½ cup mayo
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine the shredded chicken, chopped vegetables and toasted almonds in a large salad bowl.
- Add mayo, salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill salad well and serve on your choice of sandwich bread.