In 2019 MLK Monday falls on January 21st. Schools are out. So, what else is closed? Or, perhaps more importantly, what’s open and where can I get the kids out of the house? We’ve got ideas both indoor and out plus a couple of fun family events to observe the day:
OBSERVE – 2019 MLK MONDAY
- MLK Family Activities | Minnesota History Center | Family day of music, poetry, and celebration. The VocalEssence youth choir will perform, poets will lead a reading and discussion titled “We Have a Dream and a Prediction,” and families can drop in to work on art activities and service projects. Plus, stop in to see The 1968 Exhibit before it closes | $6-12 museum admission.
- Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Celebrations in Minneapolis Parks – All Minneapolis Park observances are FREE and open to the public. No reservations necessary.
3-4 pm: Central Gym
6:30-7:30 pm: Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Center
2019 MLK MONDAY OUTDOOR FUN
- Find your nearest Twin Cities-area sledding hill.
- Find your local Twin Cities-area outdoor ice skating rink.
- Como Park Ski Center | St Paul, 10am-6pm | Special MLK hours for cross-country skiing, downhill skiing and snowboarding.
- Go snow tubing at some of our favorite hills | Minneapolis
- Free Third Monday | Minnesota Landscape Arboretum | Take advantage of both indoor and outdoor activities.
- Winter Play Day | Silverwood Park, St Anthony | 1-4:30pm | Kite making, snowman building contest, roast marshmallows and an indoor concert.
2019 MLK MONDAY INDOOR FUN
- Tail Time | Wild Rumpus Books, Minneapolis, 10:30am | Arrive early if you want to get a decent spot. Stick around to see how many critters (yes, animal critters) you can spot slinking around the store!
- Inter-generational Play Time | Glenn of Hopkins | 9:30am-10:30am | A great way to build community and hang out with the wonderful clients of the Glen of Hopkins elderly daycare
- School Release Dodge Ball Game | Whittier Park | 3:30-5:30pm| Park staff hopes for a big group – join in a fun (and safe) afternoon of dodgeball with several different variations and multiple games! For ages 6-13.
- Find preschool open gym and open play times, but call ahead to check their holiday hours.
- Half-price Open Swim | Great River Water Park, St Paul | 10:30am-8:30pm (activity pool and waterslides open 10:30-noon).
- Find activities for kids of all ages form our Winter Break Survival Guide.
2019 MLK DAY CAMPS
- Light, Lasers, and Kaleidoscopes | The Works, Bloomington | 9am-4pm | $79 | Experiment with lasers, figure out how to bounce and break light; explore a giant kaleidoscopes and make a smaller model to take home.
- Winter Survival and Ice Is Nice Camp | Silverwood Park, St. Anthony | 9am-4pm | $60 | create outdoor ice sculptures and practice winter survival skills.
OBSERVE INDOOR FUN SERVICE IDEAS