In 2019 MLK Monday falls on January 21st. Schools are out. Government offices and libraries are closed. So, what else is closed? Or, perhaps more importantly, what is open and where can I get the kids out of the house? We’ve got ideas both indoor and out plus a couple of fun family events to observe the day:
OBSERVE – 2019 MLK MONDAY
- MLK Family Activities | Minnesota History Center | Family day of music, poetry, and celebration. The VocalEssence youth choir will perform (see below), poets will lead a reading and discussion titled “We Have a Dream and a Prediction,” and families can drop in to work on art activities and service projects. Plus, stop in to see The 1968 Exhibit before it closes | $6-12 museum admission.
- Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Celebrations in Minneapolis Parks – All Minneapolis Park observances are FREE and open to the public. No reservations necessary.
3-4 pm: Central Gym
6:30-7:30 pm: Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Recreation Center
2019 MLK MONDAY OUTDOOR FUN
- Find your nearest Twin Cities-area sledding hill.
- Find your local Twin Cities-area outdoor ice skating rink.
- Como Park Ski Center | St. Paul, 10am-6pm | Special MLK hours for cross-country skiing, downhill skiing and snowboarding.
- Go snow tubing at some of our favorite hills | Minneapolis
- Free Third Monday | Minnesota Landscape Arboretum | Take advantage of both indoor and outdoor activities.
- Winter Play Day | Silverwood Park, St Anthony | 1-4:30pm | Kite making, snowman building contest, roast marshmallows and an indoor concert.
- Wilderness Skills | Richardson Nature Center, Bloomington | 2-3:30pm | Learn survival skills. Work together to build a shelter and practice fire building techniques. End by a warm fire with a story inspired by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. | $5/pp | Reservations recommended.
- Stop by the Graduate Minneapolis between 2pm and 5pm to watch Chef Andy Anderson carve Goldie the Gopher out of ice. Hot chocolate will be available to purchase and proceeds will benefit Second Hand Hounds.
2019 MLK MONDAY INDOOR FUN
- Tail Time | Wild Rumpus Books, Minneapolis, 10:30am | Arrive early if you want to get a decent spot. Stick around to see how many critters (yes, animal critters) you can spot slinking around the store!
- Inter-generational Play Time – Winter Fun | Glenn of Hopkins | 10am-1pm | A great way to build community and hang out with the wonderful clients of the Glen of Hopkins elderly daycare
- School Release Dodge Ball Game | Whittier Park | 3:30-5:30pm| Park staff hopes for a big group – join in a fun (and safe) afternoon of dodgeball with several different variations and multiple games! For ages 6-13.
- Vadnais Sports Center and Highland Arena are both offering free open skating/open hockey | 11:30am-2:30pm | FREE. Skate Rental: $5.
- Behind the Scenes: Research Labs | Science Museum of MN | 12-4pm | Included with museum admission, $12.95-$18.95.(Omnifest is also happening right now).
- Mill City Museum | Minneapolis | 10am-5pm | Special holiday hours – see our tips at 10 Things For Kids: Mill City Museum.
- Find preschool open gym and open play times, but call ahead to check their holiday hours.
- Half-price Open Swim | Great River Water Park, St Paul | 10:30am-8:30pm (activity pool and waterslides open 10:30-noon).
- Find activities for kids of all ages form our Winter Break Survival Guide.
- Catch a Cheap Movie | Riverview Theater, Minneapolis | 1 & 5pm | $2/pp plus they sell awesome popcorn!
- “African Adventure” Weekend | Como Zoo | 10am to 4pm | Visitor Center will be set up with stations to explore the biomes of Africa. There will be animals and plant visitors, a scavenger hunt, crafts, games, silly storytime, zookeeper talks and gardener talks. (Also Saturday & Sunday).
2019 MLK DAY CAMPS
- Light, Lasers, and Kaleidoscopes | The Works, Bloomington | 9am-4pm | $79 | Experiment with lasers, figure out how to bounce and break light; explore a giant kaleidoscopes and make a smaller model to take home.
- Winter Survival and Ice Is Nice Camp | Silverwood Park, St. Anthony | 9am-4pm | $60 | create outdoor ice sculptures and practice winter survival skills.
- Martin Luther King Jr Skateboard Camp | 3rd Lair SkatePark, Golden Valley | 8:30am-Noon | $50 | Pre-Register early, only 50 spots available.
- A Million Meals MobilePack with Feed My Starving Children | Calvary Lutheran Church, 7520 Golden Valley Road, Golden Valley | Sign up for a slot Jan. 18-26, 2019 | Volunteer. Scoop, weigh and package meals at a two-hour packing shift. For all volunteers (age 5 and up) no matter your ability. See packing schedule online.