Thomas & Friends™: Explore the Rails at
Minnesota Children’s Museum
Now through September 21, 2014
Sunday – Thursday, 9am – 5pm
Friday & Saturday, 9am – 8pm
Museum admission: $9.95/ages 1 & up
Ramp parking discount: $4 for 3 hrs.
Debating whether or not to take your little ones to the new Thomas & Friends exhibit at the Minnesota Children’s Museum? My quick two cents: it’s great for toddlers and preschoolers – especially those who already have an interest in the characters – but there are better places to take kids truly intrigued by trains. (I’ve listed those further below.)
What my 2.5-year-old liked best:
- The large network of Thomas train tables, though it was difficult to get a spot to play on a weekday morning.
- Imaginative play – you can purchase train tickets at a ticket window, schlep your luggage into the baggage car, then settle back to ride the rails.
- Interactive touches such as working the engine controls in the train cab.
- Fitting “Percy” with a new set of wheels
Beyond the Thomas & Friends exhibit, here are some spots we recommend visiting if your kids are train enthusiasts:
- Jackson Street Roundhouse
193 Pennsylvania Ave E
St Paul, MN 55130
- Twin Cities Model Railroad Museum
1021 Bandana Blvd E #222
St Paul, MN 55108
- Hennepin Overland Railway Historical Society
2501 E 38th St.
Minneapolis, MN 55406
- Choo Choo Bob’s Train Store
2050 Marshall Ave.
St Paul, MN 55104
Gianna has mini-reviews about these train spots, plus more ideas on where to see and ride trains in her Family Fun Twin Cities article “Minneapolis/St. Paul: A Train Lovers Destination”.