“Girls need to know that there is room for them in this space,” Gaby Ruiz-Colon, biologist.
MLK Monday – So, what’s closed today? Or, perhaps more importantly, what’s open and where can I get the kids out of the house? We’ve got ideas both indoor and out plus a couple of fun family events to observe the day:
- Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Day 2017 | Powderhorn Park, Minneapolis, 11am-2pm • Celebrate with a community meal, theatre performances and art activities.
- Dr Martin Luther King Holiday | Conway Recreation Center, St Paul, 2-5pm
- Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Celebration | Dr MLK Recreation Center, Minneapolis, 6:30-7:30pm
- Snowman Making Contest & Winter Concert | Silverwood Park, St Anthony • 1-4:30pm • Come build your best snow creature, then warm up with cocoa and an indoor concert courtesy Bunny Clogs.
- Find your nearest Twin Cities-area sledding hill.
- Find your local Twin Cities-area outdoor ice skating rink.
- Como Park Ski Center | St Paul, 10am-6pm • Special MLK hours for cross-country skiing, downhill skiing and snowboarding.
- Go snow tubing with special hours at Theodore Wirth Park ($10/pp) or Columbia Golf Course | Minneapolis.
- Tail Time | Wild Rumpus Books, Minneapolis, 10:30am • Arrive early if you want to get a decent spot. Stick around to see how many critters (yes, animal critters) you can spot slinking around the store!
- PolarPalooza | Como Park Zoo & Conservatory, St Paul, 10am-4pm • Educational games and activities.
- Behind the Scenes: Research Labs | Science Museum of MN, 12-4pm • Included with museum admission, $12.95-$18.95.
- Mill City Museum | Minneapolis, 10am-5pm • Special holiday hours – see our tips at 10 Things For Kids: Mill City Museum.
- Bakken Museum | Minneapolis, 10am-4pm (special holiday hours), $5-$10/pp
- Preschool Open Play | The Blast Indoor Playground, Eagan Community Center, 9:30-11am • A variety of equipment is available to play in the gym as well as play time in the Blast Indoor playground. $4/child ages 1-5.
- Find MORE preschool open gym and open play times.
- Trolls | Riverview Theater, Minneapolis, 1 & 5pm • $2/pp plus awesome popcorn!
- Half-price Open Swim | Great River Water Park, St Paul, 10:30am-8:30pm (activity pool and waterslides open 10:30-noon)
- Find drop-in crafting opportunities for kids of all ages in our Winter Survival Guide.
Julian McFaul has been at it for a decade and doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon.
And even if he did, the Art Sled Rally has taken on a life of its own and could continue without him.
Couldn’t we all use a little help getting through the long Minnesota winter? Family Fun Twin Cities Winter Break Survival Guide has something for everyone.
We were super excited when Blooma invited Family Fun Twin Cities to try a yoga class, specifically a prenatal yoga class. Don’t get any ideas. Nobody on the FFTC team is pregnant, but yoga is fun. You don’t have to be pregnant to enjoy it. So I found a time on my calendar and made my way over to the new Plymouth location they share with yogamn.
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever at SteppingStone Theatre is one of those Christmas items that is on my checklist every year. Unfortunately, it tends to get pushed aside for other things because I know I can always catch it next year. Not this year!
SteppingStone has announced that after this year, this beloved classic is getting sent to the vault. We don’t know when we’ll see it again. If, like me, it’s been on your checklist, this is the year to act. If you don’t know about, The Best Christmas Pageant Ever, let me give you a quick history.
There’s a new play space in town! Located off of Highway 5 in Chanhassen, Pinwheel Play is an incredibly fun modern destination.
Pinwheel Play let us check out their space for free. All opinions are mine.
Lisa Perkins Smith, with her husband Bryon, opened Pinwheel Play because they couldn’t find a play space that fit their needs. They wanted a place that was clean, welcoming and catered to many types of open-ended play for the younger set.
It was hard to whittle this list down to 10 things; I was very impressed with this well-planned space.
We have a unique opportunity in the Twin Cities to enjoy the holidays on trains and planes and sleighs, and we’ve rounded up all we can find just for you and your family!