Last year the MELSA Libraries (Anoka County, Carver County, Dakota County, Hennepin County,Ramsey County, Saint Paul, Scott County, Washington County), rolled out the smARTpass Program. Library patrons now have another option for free or reduced-price tickets to arts activities and museums with this program.
smARTpass Participating Programs
After being around for a year, this program has 25 partner programs that offer free tickets with your library card.
- Bell Museum of Natural History
- Bloomington Symphony Orchestra
- Classical Actors Ensemble
- Firefighters Hall & Museum
- Hennepin History Museum
- Hennepin Theatre Trust
- Illusion Theater
- Minneapolis Institute of Art
- Minnesota Children’s Museum
- Minnesota Orchestra
- Mu Performing Arts
- The O’Shaughnessy at St. Catherine University
- Park Square Theatre
- Pillsbury House and Theatre
- PRIME Productions
- The Rose Ensemble
- Sandbox Theatre
- Stages Theatre Company
- SteppingStone Theatre
- The Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra
- The Schubert Club
- The Singers
- The Southern Theater
- TU Dance
- Walking Shadow Theatre Company
How To Participate in the smARTpass Program:
- Find An Event you are interested in;
- Click on Reserve;
- You will receive an email reservation with a link to a pass;
- Follow the instructions on your pass.
I reserved a pass to the MIA’s State of the Art exhibit. This pass required that it be printed and recommended calling ahead for a reservation. It’s important to read over the pass and follow its instructions as each venue have their own procedures.
I was a little sad when the Museum Adventure Pass program ended a few years ago. This program is similar with a few differences.
- You have to find and check out your passes online.
- For the pilot program, only one pass per card per venue.
- Passes are for specific times, which means this program can include performances.
- Once a reservation is made, there is no way to cancel or change/transfer it, and no way to restore that offer if a user is unable to attend for any reason.
- Additional free offers may be posted by partners at any time.
- Partners also have the option of offering discount offers.