Grand Avenue, St. Paul
Saturday, December 7, 2013
8.30am – 5pm; FREE!
Have you seen the weather forecast for this weekend? If not, don’t go looking it up because it might discourage you from venturing out Saturday for the annual Grand Meander on St. Paul’s charming Grand Avenue. It’s one of our family’s favorite Christmastime traditions, but it does require some bundling up and a good game plan. If you’re not familiar with the festival, over 60 Grand Avenue businesses conspire to offer specials, samples and activities that I guarantee will get you in the mood for the holidays.
Some of our favorite highlights:
- 8.30 – 10.30am – The schedule kicks off with a frenetic but FREE breakfast with Santa at Tavern on Grand (656 Grand). Pancakes, milk and OJ were on the house during our last visit. Meet Santa if you can part the crowds.
- 10am – 2pm – Meet some of Santa’s reindeer at Frattalone’s Ace Hardware (650 Grand), conveniently next door to Tavern on Grand. We traditionally purchase our Christmas tree here – all sizes $25.
- 10 – 11am – Fire truck rides courtesy the Vulcan Krewe will depart from Dixie’s on Grand (695 Grand).
- 11am – 3pm – Hop a free trolley at any bus stop on Grand between Dale & Cleveland to best experience the shops.
- 12 – 3pm – Warm up with soup samples from a dozen Grand Ave. eateries – vote in your favorite for the annual People’s Choice Winner! For a list of sample locations click here.
- 5pm – Annual Christmas Tree Lighting at Charlemagne Fine Jewelry (1262 Grand)
The above is just the beginning. The remaining 40+ businesses (most of them family-owned!) all have special reasons to stop in as well – from holiday treats and samples to creative gift ideas. Make sure to print off or access the full lineup at the Grand Meander website to plan your shopping strategy.
Grand Avenue between Dale Street & Cleveland Avenue (about 2.5 miles) in St. Paul
Free street and lot parking is available along the length of Grand