Sunday is a Target Free Day at The Minnesota Children’s Museum. The two traveling exhibits currently on display are Dora and Diego and Secrets of Circles. The circles exhibit will be moved out by May’s free day. This is exhibit is meant to spark an interest in math, science and engineering through play with circles and technology built off of circles. You and your kids can try to find the circle in pulleys, gears, compasses and turnstiles. Then experiment with the way things roll by moving balls and discs on a motorized turntable. Use a modern version of an ancient lathe by slowly and safely scraping the wood into fanciful circular shapes.
- By Nature’s Design by Pat Murphy
- Car by John Farndon
- Chasing Rainbows by Tony Wheeler
- Sir Cumference and the Round Table by Cindy Neuschwander and Wayne Geehan
- Cubes, Cones, Cylinders, and Spheres by Tana Hoban
- The Missing Piece Meets the Big O by Shel Silverstein
- Round is a Mooncake by Roseanne Thong
- So Many Circles, So Many Squares by Tana Hoban
I really like this art activity from Putti’s World. It’s simple. It expands on the theme of circles and it is frame-worthy.