Spend some time with your favorite sweethearts taking advantage of all the Valentine’s Day activities in the Twin Cities – many of them FREE or low-cost. Here are 10 ideas to get you started, including (if you stick with us til the end) a super simple cookie recipe and inspiration for crafty gifts:
Families with Special Needs are our HEROES! We have always thought that. After attending AUSM’s Steps of Hope event in 2016, we knew that we needed to up our game to serve our heroes even better.
We decided to make this Special Needs ShortList as a launching point. This guide is for families in the midst of crisis–or friends of those families– who need a place to start. This is our first step, our first attempt. Feedback and suggestions are very welcomed.
The Special Needs ShortList is sponsored by the Autism Society of Minnesota.
MLK Monday – So, what’s closed today? Or, perhaps more importantly, what’s open and where can I get the kids out of the house? We’ve got ideas both indoor and out plus a couple of fun family events to observe the day:
- Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Day 2017 | Powderhorn Park, Minneapolis, 11am-2pm • Celebrate with a community meal, theatre performances and art activities.
- Dr Martin Luther King Holiday | Conway Recreation Center, St Paul, 2-5pm
- Rev Dr Martin Luther King, Jr Celebration | Dr MLK Recreation Center, Minneapolis, 6:30-7:30pm
- Snowman Making Contest & Winter Concert | Silverwood Park, St Anthony • 1-4:30pm • Come build your best snow creature, then warm up with cocoa and an indoor concert courtesy Bunny Clogs.
- Find your nearest Twin Cities-area sledding hill.
- Find your local Twin Cities-area outdoor ice skating rink.
- Como Park Ski Center | St Paul, 10am-6pm • Special MLK hours for cross-country skiing, downhill skiing and snowboarding.
- Go snow tubing with special hours at Theodore Wirth Park ($10/pp) or Columbia Golf Course | Minneapolis.
- Tail Time | Wild Rumpus Books, Minneapolis, 10:30am • Arrive early if you want to get a decent spot. Stick around to see how many critters (yes, animal critters) you can spot slinking around the store!
- PolarPalooza | Como Park Zoo & Conservatory, St Paul, 10am-4pm • Educational games and activities.
- Behind the Scenes: Research Labs | Science Museum of MN, 12-4pm • Included with museum admission, $12.95-$18.95.
- Mill City Museum | Minneapolis, 10am-5pm • Special holiday hours – see our tips at 10 Things For Kids: Mill City Museum.
- Bakken Museum | Minneapolis, 10am-4pm (special holiday hours), $5-$10/pp
- Preschool Open Play | The Blast Indoor Playground, Eagan Community Center, 9:30-11am • A variety of equipment is available to play in the gym as well as play time in the Blast Indoor playground. $4/child ages 1-5.
- Find MORE preschool open gym and open play times.
- Trolls | Riverview Theater, Minneapolis, 1 & 5pm • $2/pp plus awesome popcorn!
- Half-price Open Swim | Great River Water Park, St Paul, 10:30am-8:30pm (activity pool and waterslides open 10:30-noon)
- Find drop-in crafting opportunities for kids of all ages in our Winter Survival Guide.
We all know the realities of raising kids in the Minnesota extremities: there’s got to be a place to go were we can escape the elements while still allowing those kids a place to burn off that extra energy. Enter our Twin Cities Indoor Playgrounds and Play Areas list. We hope you can use it to find a new space to wear those littles out — and perhaps catch yourself a break.
Minnesota, we’ve got your Pak!
EatPakd prepares and delivers wholesome ready-to-pack lunches right to your front door. Our mission is to fill kids’ bellies with the best food to fuel their day at school, for a snack or on the go! We source organic, GMO-free, and hormone-free ingredients, and handcraft all of our kid-friendly recipes without the use of added sugar, fillers, or preservatives. Choose from one of our favorite Paks, or mix and match to create your own! Learn more at www.EatPakd.com.
For more options on keeping the little ones moving throughout the chilly months, check out our Open Play, Gym & Swim Spots for Tots in the Twin Cities!
Julian McFaul has been at it for a decade and doesn’t plan on stopping anytime soon.
And even if he did, the Art Sled Rally has taken on a life of its own and could continue without him.
Looking for a Tropical Adventure during the frigid cold days in January? Read More
Swimming at these Twin Cities indoor waterparks and pools can be a wonderful way to squeeze in a workout during the frigid winter months in Minnesota, not to mention it’s guaranteed to wear out your most stir-crazy child!We’ve rounded up a list of indoor facilities around the Twin Cities where you can splash, slide and swim away the cold weather blues. Most of them offer swimming lessons as well:
BEST FOR THE BUDGET Read More
Family wellness is more than just another New Year’s Resolution. While the new year spurs thoughts of big changes in our fitness habits or our nutrition, we want to encourage you to think beyond losing that extra 15 pounds. We want you to consider your health in all areas of your life including mental health, physical health, and relation health.
Blooma has partnered with us to bring you this Twin Cities Family Wellness Guide. Together we want to help your family strive for wellness. And Family Wellness can be fun like yoga classes for kids and mama support groups and shopping together at the Farmer’s Market.
Let’s work toward Family Wellness together. Read More
We’ve got the scoop on the coolest carnival in town! From ice sculptures to the thrilling Vulcan snow slide, browse below for our top 7 picks for FREE family fun during the run of the St. Paul Winter Carnival, Thursday, January 26-Sunday, February 5, 2017:
Snow Park at the State Fairgrounds | Falcon Heights
When: Activities run Saturday, Jan 27-Sunday, Feb 5, 2017
Details: Chill out at the Fair with the following fun family-friendly events:
- Jan 21-22: Calling all kids who like heavy equipment! Watch as it assembles the giant snow blocks and walls created for the annual snow sculpting contest. 9am-4pm.
- Jan 27-29: Come watch works of art whittled out of the snow during the Minnesota State Snow Sculpting Competition (Fri) and the Amateur Snow Sculpting Contest (Sat). Sculptures will be on display at the Fair through Feb 5, 9am-10pm.
- Jan 28-Feb 4: Plummet down the Giant Snow Slide (if you dare!) A fee of $2 per ride is charged, sleds provided.
- Jan 29: Hail the Vulcs on Vulcan Fun Day with free fire truck rides, a mini-medallion hunt for kids and more. 11am-3pm.
Today marks opening weekend for many of the Twin Cities-area outdoor ice rinks and we’re sure, as hardy Minnesotans ourselves, that you’re dying to strap on your skates and hustle the kids out to the rinks! That’s why we’ve rounded up this list of local places to skate –and, as nearly all are located in city parks, there’s no charge for the skating. Find your city below and click through to get the latest rink hours, directions, warming house information, and numbers to call for rink conditions.
If you don’t see your city below, my apologies in advance. Please contact us to have yours added to the list or leave the information in the comments. Thanks, and enjoy your outdoor rec time!
Inver Grove Heights
Minneapolis (2016/2017 Brochure PDF)
St. Louis Park
White Bear Lake
West St. Paul